Gamemanship or Cheating?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The last time I figured out a pattern in an opposing coach's pitch calling (number codes yelled out to the field), and shared the info with my DD, she told me that she and her teammates had already figured it out. That said, it was not very hard to figure out.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
What are your collective thoughts on a few issues... Some people feel as if this is "Busch League"
Things like...
1. Picking opposing pitch calling and relaying that info in an inconspicuous way...
2. Having a base runner on 2nd and she relays where the catcher is setting up to the batter (in or out)
3. A coach deciphers opponents batting or base running signs and again relays info to his team in an inconspicuous way...

It all depends on the level of competition. At the higher levels this is more common than not and is mild compared to researching social media and other tactics.

Jun 11, 2013
I don't try and steal signals as it doesn't help my kids get better. I do not have a problem with coaches who do. If a kid on second give pitch location I would prefer they aren't too obvious about it, but at the same time we will cross you up if you are obvious about it. (not always on purpose).

Apr 6, 2018
Texas
What are your collective thoughts on a few issues... Some people feel as if this is "Busch League"
Things like...
1. Picking opposing pitch calling and relaying that info in an inconspicuous way...
2. Having a base runner on 2nd and she relays where the catcher is setting up to the batter (in or out)
3. A coach deciphers opponents batting or base running signs and again relays info to his team in an inconspicuous way

I have done these little things for years, some people think less of me for doing so. Am I a jerk, or have less values for the game than others?
I try to give my teams the best opportunity to win.... Isn't that what coaching is?

Here's what happened last night, As some of you know, I shut down my travel org to pursue other things. Which led me to becoming an AC/pitching coach for another org. I notice the HC instructing our catcher to set up way early, tap her leg to indicate inside or out etc.... As a former opposing coach, I'd be licking my chops at this. I'd have a code for my hitters. If it was outside I'd yell "here we go" and inside I'd yell "you got it".... If I saw a tucked finger on the pitchers grip, I'd call the player by her #, as this means here comes a change up.... (If I saw a call for an outside change up I'd say "Here we go 55, as I was clapping") Shes now prepared for the speed and location assuming the pitcher was on point.
We had massive success doing this stuff in the past. When I brought up these things, he was literally irritated by this, had a nasty look on his face, kept shaking his head no, and said NO, We don't do those thing, implying that they were lacking integrity....
Thoughts?
I don't think it's "Busch League" by any means...but...it goes the other way too. I feel I was pretty good at figuring out when a coach was doing this and so were the other coaches my DD played for. It was pretty easy to confuse the opposing coach and players. As a team, I think a team should ALWAYS prepare for this and use it to your advantage. When you do have a coach doing this, it's like taking a candy from a baby if you have taught your players to think on their feet. The opposing coach will look like a dancing fool. Then there is always the batter substitutions to ice their pitch but that's another story...:cool:

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
I agree with the idea that at younger ages there is more things to worry about.

I like to teach the players how to do it and let them. When DD had her pars issue 4 years ago that's what she did. She tried to pick signs and figure out the pitchers' tells.

If you read the book the Alabama first baseman wrote about their 2012 championship, there is a chapter where she talks about the senior player who was injured every year who's job it was to pick the other teams signs and relay them to the team. She says it was pivotal to them winning it that year.

May 20, 2015
I always kind of fall back to Steve Prefontaine......he thought it was, um, not cool (he used much better language) that other racers used to set a slow pace all race to keep everyone bunched up to set up a last lap sprint to the finish......he felt that race had no soul, no guts, no aesthetic appeal.....that one should go out and run their fastest two mile and see how that stacked up against yours

that's how i tend to coach......i don't worry about time limit or stealing signs

we deal with it when it happens, and i have called out a coach who sat in the 3rd base box and got lazy and just started yelling out 'same location' or 'outside' lol......and i HATE when parents are doing it outside the fence......but if thats how folks choose to roll, that's how they choose to roll.....just not my style

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
As a coach- I dont Do it, but mostly because I’m bad at it. If I was good at it, I would find a way to use it to my teams advantage.
DD#1 played 1B and got good at picking the other teams signals (offense) and relaying it to catcher who would relay to pitcher when she was playing U12. She was a sharp kid and had good eyes. When at bat, she would also crowd the plate when she wanted an inside pitch and then during the pitchers motion, step away. Or at the start of the motion, make a quick’ glance down; to see where the catcher was set up. I wouldn’t call any of that bush league either.
I think it’s good, even healthy, for the players to do it from U14 on

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Just to clarify, this is a 2nd year 14u, playing an A level schedule.
My ultimate goal is player development, however on game day, were there to win, and if we can gain an advantage in any way, should we not take it?

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Just to clarify, this is a 2nd year 14u, playing an A level schedule.
My ultimate goal is player development, however on game day, were there to win, and if we can gain an advantage in any way, should we not take it?

Absolutely take advantage of it. I think there is nothing wrong with it unless we run into y'all in Colorado or somewhere! One thing I think is important is to have the girls on the bench work to try and figure out what is coming. It gets them in the game and makes them put thought into trying to outsmart someone. It is also a big reason we run 4 cards and can swap at any point if someone possible figures out a call. DD's varsity coach taught the catchers to only flash the mitt and set up very late so if a runner on second is guessing she will be wrong 50% of the time.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Touch your belt for a steal, I am almost positive that is the universal steal sign.

DD is older now, steal all the signs you want. I am putting my money her, have fun. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles