First taste of southern softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2014
Atlanta
For her uniform, Georgians use Super Iron Out (located in the plumbing section at Walmart or your local Ace Hardware). Big bucket, hot water and 1cup of stinky miracle, let it soak all night. Then the next day, wash it with any other whites and run you washer on the super stain cycle at least 1hr 40 minutes. The white pants get tricky because they also may have grass stains under the dirt.

Jun 30, 2015
I'm even weirder. I'm a Sunday school teacher who is very strong in his faith. I pray privately before every game I coach. I am very conscious of the way I present myself to the kids that I coach and the kids that I coach against. I do not participate in the post game prayer circles unless there is a specific injury or incident that I feel warrants it. I understand the intention behind it, but I am very much of the belief that far too often it is not meant as a legitimate conversation between a person and God so much as it is used as a way to show the other people at the ball fields how spiritual you are. My actions at all times are supposed to be a reflection of who I am as a Christian, not for the 30 seconds when I remember to stand in a circle and pretend.
Understand what you are saying, but don't put every girl in your "pretend" category because they wish to thank him in public every time they get a chance to!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Jun 18, 2013
Understand what you are saying, but don't put every girl in your "pretend" category because they wish to thank him in public every time they get a chance to!

It's generally not the girls that I am talking about. I just quietly go about cleaning my dugout. If anyone asks, I explain. Otherwise, I keep my mouth shut.

Jun 30, 2015
It's generally not the girls that I am talking about. I just quietly go about cleaning my dugout. If anyone asks, I explain. Otherwise, I keep my mouth shut.
My girls choose to pray before and after the game of their on doing! None of my parents Nor any of my coach have ever mentioned pray in that manner. My team just chooses to do it and I am proud of them for it!

Apr 1, 2010
I'm a rare breed, a GA native who's also a godless heathen ;) The prayer for every freaking thing here drives me up the wall. I really hate the assumption that every girl at a tournament shares one set of beliefs and wants to pray in the middle of a softball tournament. I try not to think about it or it pisses me off. My husband (asst coach on our team) usually doesn't participate - he just starts picking up the dugout while they do their thing. We leave it up to our daughter whether to participate and she usually does, which is fine. But there are definitely some major annoyances about living in the bible belt.

Yes, it's a little easier here in KC. Our local games don't do prayer circles; they seem to start just a few hundred miles south of here. If we drive to Arkansas or Oklahoma, look out, here they come. DH and I are not regular church-goers, though we do enjoy celebrating Christmas. However, when DD was younger, we let her go to church a lot with various friends, thinking that she should have the opportunity to experience it and make up her own mind. Eventually she decided religion wasn't for her--at least not at this time.

As I mentioned before, the prayer circles do make her very uncomfortable; she's the only one on either team who doesn't participate. She always feels that it opens up a gulf between her and her teammates that wasn't there beforehand.

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
Yes, it's a little easier here in KC. Our local games don't do prayer circles; they seem to start just a few hundred miles south of here. If we drive to Arkansas or Oklahoma, look out, here they come. DH and I are not regular church-goers, though we do enjoy celebrating Christmas. However, when DD was younger, we let her go to church a lot with various friends, thinking that she should have the opportunity to experience it and make up her own mind. Eventually she decided religion wasn't for her--at least not at this time.

As I mentioned before, the prayer circles do make her very uncomfortable; she's the only one on either team who doesn't participate. She always feels that it opens up a gulf between her and her teammates that wasn't there beforehand.

I understand what you are saying - I don't know if this is relevant or not. I'm not Christian, but my DW and DD are. We live in Georgia so we dealt with this somewhat regularly. My DD generally chose to participate. I was a coach and stood quietly outside the circle, the message I felt was, "Although I chose not to participate, I respect your choice to do so" I never once had any issues with a player or parent.

Feb 4, 2015
Massachusetts
My post was just to share our great southern 'softball' experience. I'm bummed I created a post that's turned into another endless debate on religion. #learningtosayless

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red