Fielding % (like batting average except for the defense)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
ball in the dirt is a wild pitch.
You can look up exactly how wild pitch is worded.
Think I recall someone posting that and it said something about the pitch bouncing in front of the plate.

There is also something called a dropped third strike which can be a strike pitch that bounces on the dirt before it gets to the catcher or if the catcher drops it.
Even batter swinging and catcher drops The Big E
If the play isn't finished.

Again from my perspective it doesn't matter if you call a wild pitch it is still a play in progress.

Anywhere Wild bounce it's a play in progress.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
So error if he missed this @RADcatcher or nah? ;)

He proved its not an error 😁

To the discussion about diving do you think it is always considered extraordinary effort to dive for a play?
I do not.

There may be some plays that are extra-ordinary and become extraordinary.
But some plays simply need to be made and sometimes diving is how that's accomplished.
Like catcher running to a pop up by the plate.

Oct 14, 2019
Point is that a catcher isn’t measured solely by fielding percentage. There are many other metrics that are applicable to a catcher’s prowess. SB %. Framing, which is hard to measure. Limiting runner’s leadoff because of reasonable threat of pickoff. Ability to field bunts. Range on pop ups. Backing up 1B. Pitch calling, if applicable. Rapport with the pitcher. Etc.

Jun 8, 2016
He proved its not an error 😁
How many players have you seen dive for a ball, have it take a bad hop when he/she is in the air and then adjust by catching it with their bare hand and throw the runner out (granted that would be more difficult in softball with the size of the ball..)? If you tell me a bunch then I need to watch more games with you and smoke whatever you are smoking.. 🤣

radness

Dec 13, 2019
How many players have you seen dive for a ball, have it take a bad hop when he/she is in the air and then adjust by catching it with their bare hand and throw the runner out (granted that would be more difficult in softball with the size of the ball..)?
That's okay you can cherry-pick one play as an example. Brings up discussion point

(yes I see fastpitch players making plays like that.)

Question could be that if a player was able to make extraordinary plays like that. Do they still hold the same standard to another player who doesn't have that extraordinary ability and do you look at errors differently because of the different Talent level?
'Oh they should have had that...'

I also asked do you think it is always extraordinary effort to dive for the ball. I think that there are average everyday plays that diving is included and is not always an extraordinary effort

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Lol..ok.

In any case, regardless of what your opinion is, typically diving for a ball is not considered ordinary effort. You are entitled your own opinion of course.
So you think that all diving is extraordinary effort. In my opinion diving is to be expected. It is part of a skill set athletes on the field should have. A requirement. Not an exception.

Oct 14, 2019
That's okay you can cherry-pick one play as an example. Brings up discussion point

(yes I see fastpitch players making plays like that.)

Question could be that if a player was able to make extraordinary plays like that. Do they still hold the same standard to another player who doesn't have that extraordinary ability and do you look at errors differently because of the different Talent level?
'Oh they should have had that...'

I also asked you do you think it is always extraordinary effort to dive for the ball. I think that there are average everyday plays that diving is included and is not always an extraordinary effort
Someone like Detek Jeter might be regarded highly because of his fielding percentage even though he would never attempt to make a play like this. If he just waved at the ball as it went by, his fielding percentage would be unaffected. Other players would attempt the play even though it could result in an error.

Jun 8, 2016
So you think that all diving is extraordinary effort. In my opinion diving is to be expected. It is part of a skill set athletes on the field should have. A requirement. Not an exception.
You are misinterpreting what "ordinary effort" means. It doesn't mean what is expected of a player in terms effort, it means would one expect an average player (at whatever level you are playing at) to make the play when that effort is given.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Some never attempt to make a play like this.
Understand it your point about applying errors.
If he just waved at the ball as it went by, his fielding percentage would be unaffected.
(But playing time might be affected)
Other players would attempt the play even though it could result in an error.
Perhaps playing time would be rewarded

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207