Fielding % (like batting average except for the defense)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 14, 2019
Catchers have it easy. 3 feet off line on a throw down to 2B. No error if infielder catches ball. That’s an error for an IF. Hence the higher fielding %.

Sep 19, 2018
Hmmm?
So third base is closer so the incidental errors shouldn't really be accountable the same?

You said it yourself. If it hit your glove and you didn't catch it, you felt it was an error. A 990 fielding percentage at 3b might be great. In the outfield, it is pretty awful.

Jun 8, 2016
Also some coaches seem to lose track of why they lose most games on the defensive side. Yeah, you may remember that missed cutoff at the end of the game or the 3B not getting the lead runner at 2nd but forget the 2 bad throws, 2 booted balls, 2 bad angles to balls in the gap,etc the first 6 innings....

Oct 14, 2019
GameChanger keeps it for all players. And since I do GameChanger, my DD is usually around 1.200% fielding percentage. I often give her credit for great plays even when she's not involved in the play.
Heck, I made up a team for DD on Gamechanger. Just her and the Smith sisters. She has 8 perfect games and is batting .875 so far this season.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
You said it yourself. If it hit your glove and you didn't catch it, you felt it was an error. A 990 fielding percentage at 3b might be great. In the outfield, it is pretty awful.
I don't think that on every team the third baseman gets the most grounders/fielding attempts. Think there are situations where the Outfield gets a lot of the spray and with faster pitchers often the right side of the field gets a lot of Defense work. Statistics that have variables.
Comment to that because coaches will play certain players in certain positions pending what pitcher throwing that game. Better move so-and-so to the Outfield because...

Myself would have the same standard playing any position on the field.
And held myself to that same standard and used my glove to fill dirt pitches behind the plate.
Including the standard that even with pitches in the dirt, fielding to throw.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
Heck, I made up a team for DD on Gamechanger. Just her and the Smith sisters. She has 8 perfect games and is batting .875 so far this season.

Perhaps she'd like go join our Gold Premium Extreme Elite team. They're also Platinum.

Oct 14, 2019
Myself would have the same standard playing any position on the field.
And held myself to that same standard and used my glove to fill dirt pitches behind the plate.
Including the standard that even with pitches in the dirt, it is still my responsibility to finish the play on a runner trying to steal.
ball in the dirt is a wild pitch.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207