Favorite drills for assessing and fixing swing flaws

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
maybe if Miggy says it you will believe it. Don’t know why this is so hard to understand. In both gifs posted it’s clear as day that the hands are directing the body to an optimal position to strike the ball. By either reacting or delaying.

No need getting emotional.. you want to keep this thread on topic. Provide drills so the OP can use, drills that illustrate hands determining plane. The only ones I can think of is similar to what TM teaches.

JD Martinez, what improved his swing.. hands or sequence/posture? If you believe hands, then you believe in TTB

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
No need getting emotional.. you want to keep this thread on topic. Provide drills so the OP can use, drills that illustrate hands determining plane. The only ones I can think of is similar to what TM teaches.

JD Martinez, what improved his swing.. hands or sequence/posture? If you believe hands, then you believe in TTB

Not emotional. part of the problem is how ‘posture’ is being interpreted. It’s loosely used as the ‘chest over the plate’ etc etc. that’s not it (not just here, everywhere, I think on purpose). That’s spine angle.

Posture is set at stance and can be broken before foot down, but is not a good approach. Inconsistent. Posture is hip hinge. The spine works off the pelvis angle.

JD did fix his posture. Which is hip hinge. Not his spine angle. When hip hinge is fixed, the sequence can finally be executed in sequence. If not the hips load late, ABAF ensues and the sequence falls apart. It’s the s-plane, glute load, pre-pitch action, up front action, ‘flat back’, ‘riding a horse’, that others have tried to explain here and other places. Stare at JDs hips. Look at the two kids in the newest thread. Do you understand why I say BRs posture tutorial is eyewash now?

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Not emotional. part of the problem is how ‘posture’ is being interpreted. It’s loosely used as the ‘chest over the plate’ etc etc. that’s not it (not just here, everywhere, I think on purpose). That’s spine angle.

Posture is set at stance and can be broken before foot down, but is not a good approach. Inconsistent. Posture is hip hinge. The spine works off the pelvis angle.

JD did fix his posture. Which is hip hinge. Not his spine angle. When hip hinge is fixed, the sequence can finally be executed in sequence. If not the hips load late, ABAF ensues and the sequence falls apart. It’s the s-plane, glute load, pre-pitch action, up front action, ‘flat back’, ‘riding a horse’, that others have tried to explain here and other places. Stare at JDs hips. Look at the two kids in the newest thread. Do you understand why I say BRs posture tutorial is eyewash now?

We've had this discussion before I don't care to rehash again.. but as hip hinge angle decreases .. the chest will get more over the plate. The hip hinge angle will adjust according to pitch location.. it's called getting on plane.. what I keep asking for and I am sure it will be helpful for most in thread including the OP.. are some drills which help a hitter determine plan with the hands

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
We've had this discussion before I don't care to rehash again.. but as hip hinge angle decreases .. the chest will get more over the plate. The hip hinge angle will adjust according to pitch location.. it's called getting on plane.. what I keep asking for and I am sure it will be helpful for most in thread including the OP.. are some drills which help a hitter determine plan with the hands

But without the hinge being correct in the first place nothing is engaged so it’s late. That’s when spacing and direction is an issue. Couldn’t get out of the way in time. It’s always about ‘when’. Where is dictated by ‘when’ right? Time is king.

It doesn’t matter how much you turn the stick to the wall and side bend blah blah blah. It’s all for not w/o engaged hips. The tutorial is eyewash. Side bend is a crock as a function as well. Side bend happens from the path the hands are taking to the pitch.. down. Check the Miggy gifs again. Does side bend happen before or after the hands go? The path of the hands set the side bend. A lot of gurus I’ve seen teach it the other way. I think it’s a big mistake.

I already said the Ryan Braun drill for the hands. You could change tee positioning in and out. The purpose of the drill is to be direct with the swing. Don’t think much else is needed.

when first learning, I do like the old Crystal Bustos drill where she hammers down on the tee with her top hand mimicking a hammer/nail scenario, to feel the function of the wrist.

Always learn things when we ‘dance’ J. Good stuff.

May 12, 2016
But without the hinge being correct in the first place nothing is engaged so it’s late. That’s when spacing and direction is an issue. Couldn’t get out of the way in time. It’s always about ‘when’. Where is dictated by ‘when’ right? Time is king.

It doesn’t matter how much you turn the stick to the wall and side bend blah blah blah. It’s all for not w/o engaged hips. The tutorial is eyewash. Side bend is a crock as a function as well. Side bend happens from the path the hands are taking to the pitch.. down. Check the Miggy gifs again. Does side bend happen before or after the hands go? The path of the hands set the side bend. A lot of gurus I’ve seen teach it the other way. I think it’s a big mistake.

I already said the Ryan Braun drill for the hands. You could change tee positioning in and out. The purpose of the drill is to be direct with the swing. Don’t think much else is needed.

when first learning, I do like the old Crystal Bustos drill where she hammers down on the tee with her top hand mimicking a hammer/nail scenario, to feel the function of the wrist.

Always learn things when we ‘dance’ J. Good stuff.
Yes I understand what you are talking about.. and we've been through this before regarding side bend vs hip hinge. And yes I am not crazy about his terminology in this video and some of what he displays.. however I do agree with hip hinge angle decreasing/increasing in correlation to pitch location and IMO this is established prior to or just at heel plant.. before the hands start moving forward. That's why I can't get onboard with the hands dictating plane. I'm not saying that the hands do not adjust.. but I believe they are more adjustable when posture is correct.. they have much more space on the right plane to get the job done.

When it comes right down to it.. I don't like the hands dictating how the body moves.. that's way too close to the TTB approach IMO. I've played a lot of different sports in my life and I've always found the hands more effective when the body is in position to support them. Good chat W, same here, always learning

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Still not sure where you’re getting TTB from. The speed of the barrel is created by the hands whipping the barrel. Knob going back and coming forward. Lag and release. All the body stuff is to create a clear leveraged path to whip the barrel. But TTB is planing. It happens twice in a swing. East/West and North/South.

in the tutorial you posted. The guy does say the back elbow supports the barrel. He is correct. When it’s an outside pitch, you will notice the back elbow underneath longer than an inside pitch. Maybe bc it needs the added support to get farther away from the body? This is how the barrel gets the support it needs.

May 12, 2016
I don't like the hands creating posture.. posture is created/adjusted at heel plant or just prior and ideally remains the same throughout the swing... the hands can move within that space. Some believe if you TTB from start the body will react accordingly... and that seems a little too close to what you are saying. I could be misunderstanding you here W.. but I hope that helps explain why I keep referring to TTB

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors