Favorite drills for assessing and fixing swing flaws

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
My one single favorite drill for fixing swing flaws is to put a ball on a tee at one end of the cage, go to the other end of the cage and then have the hitter try to knock that ball off of the tee.

May 12, 2016
Reminds me of a drill my DD's former coach did with his pitchers. He put a ball on the tee and asked the pitchers to pitch and knock it off..they came close but couldn't do it. My DD who was a catcher asked if she could try.. 1 pitch and knocked it off.. pitch was about 25mph. It was hilarious. Needless to say the coach did not make her the starting pitcher :)

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I might be misunderstanding you here.. but IMO the only way to truly get on plane early with the hands is to TTB.. immediate supination of the wrist/forearms... unless you DBSF. I want my body to support and create space for my hands to do what they need to.. I believe that is achieved with good posture, which is relative to the plane of the pitch.

If I'm not TTB... then without the proper posture which is relative to pitch location ...my swing ends up being pushy. This motion is displayed in the BR video @ 45 secs

I would never want to get on plane early. I want to get on plane deep with the hands. Late committal with the barrel. The barrel will still be out of plane during this initial launch of the swing. When the barrel releases is when I want to be on plane. The knob goes forward then the bat releases.

1595964427193.gif

May 12, 2016
Early = where.. Early <> when. When I say early I mean where .. which means deep.

In the miggy gif above. his barrel enters the zone early(deep).. which means he is getting on plane early(deep). Plane is established by posture.. his hands has tons of space to act accordingly.. Yes the knob goes forward, the bat arcs rearward, then he releases

May 24, 2013
So Cal
...how do you approach the situation when a girl may not buy in easily because she has been swinging a certain way their whole playing career?

Kids aren't dumb. Appeal to their common sense, and be able to explain why your suggestion is superior to their current approach.

For example, if they are pushing their hands at the ball, I would talk about how creating tension in the scap creates a connection between their hands and their body (insert instruction on how pull back with the scap, and how it creates connection), which will allow them to power the swing with the powerful muscles of their lower body and core instead of with their arms (your legs are stronger than your arms, right?). Hitting the ball farther is fun, and is more likely to be successful, right?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Early = where.. Early <> when. When I say early I mean where .. which means deep.

In the miggy gif above. his barrel enters the zone early(deep).. which means he is getting on plane early(deep). Plane is established by posture.. his hands has tons of space to act accordingly.. Yes the knob goes forward, the bat arcs rearward, then he releases

I honestly don’t care about where as much as I do when. We are timing something right? Where is nothing.

Miggy planes later in the sequence, earlier in space, later in time. Time is the only one that matters.

Here’s Miggy planing it much earlier in time but later in space. Did posture do that? I don’t think so. I think his hands did.

1595975378853.gif

May 12, 2016
Where matters ... if timing is off which a lot of time it most certainly is, creating a larger hitting zone is important. Smaller hitting zone, your timing better be perfect. On plane early(deep) stay on plane through out the zone.

IDK I have tons of examples and drills displaying good posture getting the body in the correct position to get behind and through the ball.... creating space for the hands

Please post some drills where the hands set the plane, some thing the op can use.

Regarding Miggy, posture is established which matches the pitch location... he’s on plane, now the hands can do their thing

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Where matters ... if timing is off which a lot of time it most certainly is, creating a larger hitting zone is important. Smaller hitting zone, your timing better be perfect. On plane early(deep) stay on plane through out the zone.

IDK I have tons of examples and drills displaying good posture getting the body in the correct position to get behind and through the ball.... creating space for the hands

Please post some drills where the hands set the plane, some thing the op can use.

Regarding Miggy, posture is established which matches the pitch location... he’s on plane, now the hands can do their thing

maybe if Miggy says it you will believe it. Don’t know why this is so hard to understand. In both gifs posted it’s clear as day that the hands are directing the body to an optimal position to strike the ball. By either reacting or delaying.