Facing a live batter in a tunnel

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2011
I would have a screen for the pitchers. I know during a game they pitch to batters, but this isn't a game. During a game there are a lot of other things going on. So it is different, the batters are not in a game situation and neither are the pitchers. They're pitching to teammates and a little lapse in intensity and someone might have a season ending injury.

Sep 17, 2009
I have a fundamental issue with pitchers throwing live BP since the hitters have little chance unless the pitcher is out there tubing it. And I would never ask that of any pitcher. My pitchers know their teammates like a book as to what they can and cannot hit. Rightly so they will hammer on their weaknesses and aside from pointing out those weaknesses the exercise is not productive. The only thing we do live anymore is bunt offense and defense.

Why would you oppose your pitchers throwing spotted fastballs (I know, your pitchers don't throw fastballs : )). But seriously, what damage would it do to them exactly?

Jan 20, 2011
BP fastballs for hitters is Coach's work. But if the pitcher is going out there without her hands tied behind her back then I am all for it. There's a lot to be learned in live situations at practice on both sides. Gaps in swing paths to bad change ups, The immediate feedback is great. And if she thinks her stuff is that good ,luckily, the Batters will always tell the truth. Ha

Sep 17, 2009
I like the idea of truly live, competitive BP too. But as someone said earlier if pitchers start striking everyone out it bogs down. My original question remains. If my pitcher is just working hitting spots with one pitch (which makes it easier for the hitters since they don't have to contend with spins or change of speed to also get work in) what's the downside? That they'll get hit a bit?

And if you have coaches that can throw challenging BP fastballs from 43 feet I'd love to see it....

I guess my point is it should be possible to design a plan that benefits hitters and pitchers without harming either or wasting their time....

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2009
18U. I'm living this question now, so it's not theoretical for me. Looking for thoughts to put together good indoor hitting sessions that move beyond tees, soft-toss and pitching machines (while not abusing or pissing off my pitchers lol).

(We do separate day team pitcher/catcher battery sessions and obviously pitchers do their own lessons, so yes this is kind of about "using" pitchers to help our hitters).

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Why would you oppose your pitchers throwing spotted fastballs (I know, your pitchers don't throw fastballs : )). But seriously, what damage would it do to them exactly?

It won't hurt the pitchers, it is just very frustrating to the hitters and usually not at all productive. The problem is that 95.6% of all hitting practice involves scenarios that should never be realized in a game. A good pitcher will refuse to participate in such nonsense. Next time you are at a hitting practice note the location of the pitches or placement of the tee. Ever notice that most tees cannot place a ball at the very bottom of the strike zone? I love to publicly point this out at a vendors booth at showcases. The bottom of the zone is where an elite pitcher needs to live. :)

Sep 17, 2009
It won't hurt the pitchers, it is just very frustrating to the hitters and usually not at all productive. The problem is that 95.6% of all hitting practice involves scenarios that should never be realized in a game. A good pitcher will refuse to participate in such nonsense. Next time you are at a hitting practice note the location of the pitches or placement of the tee. Ever notice that most tees cannot place a ball at the very bottom of the strike zone? I love to publicly point this out at a vendors booth at showcases. The bottom of the zone is where an elite pitcher needs to live. :)

TKS. I realize I am in the pitching forum where I rarely venture (while I am head coaching this team my own girls haven't pitched and I leave dealing with pitchers to my other coaches for the most part) so my main goal is to help my hitters see more live pitching in the off-season, and not have it be "unproductive" as you say.

Sorry if this alters the intent of the original post, I was just interested in the topic albeit from other direction :)

Nov 18, 2013
I would have a screen for the pitchers. I know during a game they pitch to batters, but this isn't a game. During a game there are a lot of other things going on. So it is different, the batters are not in a game situation and neither are the pitchers. They're pitching to teammates and a little lapse in intensity and someone might have a season ending injury.

Agree about the intensity being different and potential lapses in judgement posing a risk. A screen may work, but I prefer softies. I'm having trouble visualizing how a screen would work while throwing live. Not saying it wouldn't, but I've never seen it.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Agree about the intensity being different and potential lapses in judgement posing a risk. A screen may work, but I prefer softies. I'm having trouble visualizing how a screen would work while throwing live. Not saying it wouldn't, but I've never seen it.

Here is SP on the left...pitching to MW with a screen....

M%26S_W.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd