Eye Training

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Excellent question! My DD spent all year telling me that she was struggling with telling balls and strikes. I would love to hear some ideas for eye training!

Sep 15, 2011
I have read about needing peripheral vision to accurately judge speed and distance of a moving object, however I also hear a lot about picking up the ball out the hand and reading the spin of the ball to determine pitch type. Wouldn't focused vision be needed for that?

How can both objectives be achieved?

Thanks, Rob.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
We do this drill from Cindy Coaches CornerA Simple Way to Improve a Hitter’s Timing « Softball Excellence

While it's about timing, it also helps pick up the ball. Another thing we do.... I have DD sit in my bucket while I pitch to her. Her job is to call ball and strikes as one "drill", then she's to call two seam, four seam or corkscrew on my pitches for another "drill". I put drill in quotes because DD finds this too fun. It's one of the few things she asks to do for practice. Watching me pitch is funny too.

Oct 8, 2014
I know that I new to the site and still learning and sure other people have some wonderful suggestion. One of the drill that my dd used was having her stand in the batters box with her head turned the opposite direction from the pitcher. The person soft tosses from 1/2 the distance that is normally pitched from. The person doing the soft toss would yell ball as the ball is being pitched and the batter would turn their head toward the pitcher,locate the ball and then swing the bat.

A lot of girls were swinging late when they first started this because they were completely turning their head to try to find the pitch. Once they realized they could use their peripheral vision to find the ball, they were making contact with the ball.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2011
If you properly pickup movement, do you really need to pickup spin?

Based on your leading question I think I know what you are getting at, but I am little slow sometimes and need things spelled out.

So, if it's your peripheral vision that identifies speed and movement, then micro focus on a pitched ball is not desirable? Thus, the vision drills using a colored stripe or writing on the ball is not something you would advocate?

Thanks, Rob.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Based on your leading question I think I know what you are getting at, but I am little slow sometimes and need things spelled out.

So, if it's your peripheral vision that identifies speed and movement, then micro focus on a pitched ball is not desirable? Thus, the vision drills using a colored stripe or writing on the ball is not something you would advocate?

Thanks, Rob.

You are on the right track IMO.

Some of the information shared in this thread is pretty bad ... again, IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06