Example of 12U coach pitch calling--please, don't be this guy.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Learning how to receive a pitch signal takes about 5 minutes.

And actually taking the pitch signal takes another 5 minutes ... that is where the problem is.

Learn in practice. Reinforce in games. Now, get the bucket off my field and let’s keep this game moving.

Mar 28, 2014
If a kid is blowing away a batter with fastballs, and there are other hitters in the lineup (e.g. this isn't a kid dominating in Rec ball) who she would need to throw offspeed pitches to, doesn't make a lot of sense to throw anything but fastballs to that particular batter. Development isn't only about the skills of the game but also understanding situations,etc. Plus if a pitcher cannot locate her fastball she should probably concentrate on developing that first, no?
That pitcher wasn't blowing anybody away with her fastball. She went 3-1 with it. Coach then called change and she threw it for a strike, fouled off. Called it again and it was a strike. Seems like the change was the only thing she had control of but I suppose walking her with another fastball was the proper call there? I guess I don't see the benefit of continuing the call the same pitch when you are down in the count 3-1 by already throwing that pitch. I've always called something different in that situation to serve as a way to change the mentality of the pitcher. Get her out of a rut. She's thrown 2-3 balls in a row of the same pitch. Let's give her something different to break things up. Bad idea?

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
That pitcher wasn't blowing anybody away with her fastball. She went 3-1 with it. Coach then called change and she threw it for a strike, fouled off. Called it again and it was a strike. Seems like the change was the only thing she had control of but I suppose walking her with another fastball was the proper call there?
TH you are correct as always since, you know, your kid has played above 12U. I apologize for questioning your supreme knowledge of the game. Won't happen again.

Mar 28, 2014
TH you are correct as always since, you know, your kid has played above 12U. I apologize for questioning your supreme knowledge of the game. Won't happen again.
Well alrighty then. Lol... Wow. I put a question mark there so that makes it a question, not a statement. Others state opinions as if they are facts and you follow along like a puppy dog. I ask a question and you assume I'm stating it as fact. Pretty unfair but you do you pattar.

Jun 8, 2016
Well alrighty then. Lol... Wow. I put a question mark there so that makes it a question, not a statement. Others state opinions as if they are facts and you follow along like a puppy dog. I ask a question and you assume I'm stating it as fact. Pretty unfair but you do you pattar.
BS that wasn't a question( question mark or not). I am a lot of things but stupid isn't one of them.

If you think that batter wasn't late on the fastball (e.g. what blowing away meant but you know that since..well see my next comment) in that AB then I will just have to agree with you due to your dd's superior age and hence your superior knowledge.

Jul 31, 2019
Why? Exactly what are you trying to develop?

If a coach calls pitches for the kid starting at 12U all the way through college, when is the kid supposed to learn how to call pitches?

When do you actually think they start calling pitches? Most college coaches call pitches

Jun 8, 2016
If I had to guess (and that is all I am doing here) at the college level (and higher) there is some ( a lot ?) of feedback from the pitcher/catcher to the pitcher caller on what they are seeing. So while they certainly do have coaches call pitches, pitchers/catchers need to learn to read batters tendencies. I don't really have much of an issue with coaches calling pitches at the lower levels, I just have an issue a lot of the times with how they call them :LOL:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying