Example of 12U coach pitch calling--please, don't be this guy.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
This was supposed to be a hitting video...but I got mesmerized by the coach calling pitches. This is an example of the insanity of 12U softball...watch the coach calling pitches for a pitcher who doesn't have any.

The pitcher can't hit her spots and doesn't have any pitches.. No big deal...she is a normal 12U pitcher. She'll get much better.

What should the coach do? LEAVE THE KID ALONE AND LET HER PITCH. Maybe remind the kid to try to hit the corners every once in a while.

But, the coach has a bucket. So, of course, the coach has to do something. He calls fastball after fastball, occasionally indicating inside or outside.

The batter can't touch the fastball. Naturally, the coach calls a breaking pitch, which comes in at 40MPH, and the batter rips it into right center..

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
An example of the insanity of 12U softball...watch the coach calling pitches.

The pitcher can't hit her spots and doesn't have any pitches.. No big deal...she is a normal 12U pitcher. She'll get much better.

What should the coach do? LEAVE THE KID ALONE AND LET HER PITCH. Occasionally, remind the kid to try to hit the corners.

But, of course, the coach has to do something. After all, he has a bucket. He calls fastball after fastball, occasionally indicating inside or outside.

The batter can't touch the fastball. Naturally, the coach calls a breaking pitch, which comes in at 40MPH, and the batter rips it into right center..

It’s always a treat and a surprise to pull up a new thread from someone that always has good stuff to say and seeing my kid

To the point of the thread-

Unfortunately, this is the rule and not the exception here (although that team was from Texas). I’m glad Olivia’s HC wasn’t the one you have video of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 11, 2010
I can’t believe the number of coaches at all ages that feel the need to slow down the game for the hitter when a pitcher is dominating her. It’s mind blowing. Throw three pitches and get on to the next hitter.

Dec 11, 2010
I coached with a guy that had a few faults but also had a whole lot of stuff figured out.

He mostly had catchers call games. He was quite fond of telling catchers “throw your best stuff.” That phrase, while kind of vague, made more and more sense to the catchers and dummies like me as time went on.

Apr 1, 2017
Had a parent ask me once why we weren't calling pitches for the least experienced pitcher we had (the parent saw the head coach using signs for the other 2 pitchers). I told them we were. That pitcher gets the "please throw a strike" sign every time. She sees it on our faces.....

Mar 28, 2014
I'm sometimes confused by the mixed messages received here. On one hand we have everyone saying that 12u is all about development. Wins and losses don't matter. Pitchers need circle time in order to develop. Then we get a thread like this where it seems that everyone is advocating for the pitcher to just throw fastball after fastball in order to get the hitter out. Help me understand how throwing fastball after fastball in order to "just get the batter out and move on" and never throwing an off speed or breaking pitch is helpful towards the development of a pitcher.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13