Example of 12U coach pitch calling--please, don't be this guy.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
It’s not really an all or nothing proposition.

What I’m saying is when the count is 0-2, do we really need to throw three “waste pitches” fourteen inches off the plate that no one will swing at?

That is one of my frustrations with pitch calling. A lot of girls at 12u and under (I have no experience with older ages) don't like to swing the bat as it is. They are waiting until the last minute to decide (my kid is a prime example), and those "waste pitches" are never ever getting a swing. Coaches should be taking advantage of the fact that they want to wait to swing, not playing into it.

Jun 8, 2016
That is one of my frustrations with pitch calling. A lot of girls at 12u and under (I have no experience with older ages) don't like to swing the bat as it is. They are waiting until the last minute to decide (my kid is a prime example), and those "waste pitches" are never ever getting a swing. Coaches should be taking advantage of the fact that they want to wait to swing, not playing into it.
On 0-2 I can see trying to throw it a few inches off the plate in particular if the hitter looks like they know what they are doing. I think the problem is for many 12U pitchers a few inches off the plate ends up being 2 feet off the plate :LOL:

May 29, 2019
It depends on your pitchers abilities if calling pitches is a good idea. But in general we don't have our pitchers go out and just throw strikes. At 12U most pitchers have a fast ball and a change and maybe one other pitch they are working on. They need experience working on hitting spots and varying speeds and being a pitcher and not just a thrower. We usually call pitches so the pitcher can focus on just throwing the pitch and not what pitch to throw. They are also leaning some strategy on when to throw different pitches.
It's easy to coach from behind the backstop or outside of left field fence. I've been guilty of that myself. The coach is doing what he thinks is best.

Oct 29, 2019
My kid's 12U coach calls pitches for her and I think it really helps. He adjusts pitches based on how she is pitching. Some days she just doesn't have it. Some days she can hit her spots on every fastball.

Off speed pitches don't have locations.

Seems like most all coaches I've seen do this.

I'm surprised at the hate.

We also have pitchers/catchers practice with live batting once a week where we talk at length about why the coach is calling a particular pitch. When we are ahead or playing a lesser team the catcher calls pitches. Then after the game the coach will have a chat about her pitch calling. Seem like a great way to learn.

Pitchers can always nod off pitches and change the call.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
It depends on your pitchers abilities if calling pitches is a good idea. But in general we don't have our pitchers go out and just throw strikes. At 12U most pitchers have a fast ball and a change and maybe one other pitch they are working on. They need experience working on hitting spots and varying speeds and being a pitcher and not just a thrower. We usually call pitches so the pitcher can focus on just throwing the pitch and not what pitch to throw. They are also leaning some strategy on when to throw different pitches.
It's easy to coach from behind the backstop or outside of left field fence. I've been guilty of that myself. The coach is doing what he thinks is best.

Important thing to remember. If the result of the pitch is an out, the pitcher did a great job. If the result is a hit, the coach is an idiot ;)

Jun 8, 2016
It's easy to coach from behind the backstop or outside of left field fence.
I don't know man, yelling out Blue 38 5 8 Infinity Pi for a fastball down the middle of the plate from behind the LF fence isn't as
easy at it looks.

The coach is doing what he thinks is best.
Who said otherwise? This is a discussion board, on discussion boards you discuss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nabbott