Example of 12U coach pitch calling--please, don't be this guy.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Loosely following this and for me it begs the question...when do you typically allow the pitcher (or pitcher/catcher combo) to call the game, if ever? Seems like a lot of talk about developing this skill and knowledge base in them but so many coaches still want to control every pitch at older ages. Should it be a group effort with lots of input from coach, catcher, pitcher, etc.. If a coach controls each and every pitch and interferes with the pitchers sense of rhythm or groove is that development or ? Certainly a kid needs to know how to work effectively with a wide range of variables and receiving pitch calls in a variety of ways is only one of those variables. Lots of coaches would probably say get used to it because that's just the way it is in college softball...but is it? Is there a trend to allow the players to use the experience and skill that we've supposedly tried to develop in them as it relates to setting up a batter, knowing your pitcher, the situation and the defensive alignment? Besides (what some may call a unicorn or an exception) UCLA which is probably the highest profile example, what other programs are allowing the battery to run the game in the world of women's fastpitch?

When DD played 14u, myself and the other coaches talked about allowing the catcher to call the pitches. In my opinion she was smart and could have picked it up quickly. Unfortunately the head coach didn't want to lose control of that aspect of the game. At 16u DD switched teams (wanted to play on a team that traveled more and attended showcases). The assistant coach was a former D1 catcher. His daughter was the primary catcher on the team. The head coach asked me to work with the pitchers. So between the coaches, the pitchers, and the catchers, we developed a system. We communicated a lot before and during games. We wanted feedback from the catchers and the pitchers, including the pitchers that were not in the game.

I find it curious. On tv I will often hear announcers make comments like "he's a coaches son" or "he's like having another coach on the field". There are reasons for that. Part of it is teaching. But part of it is by giving your players authority and responsibility during games. Yet I see a lot of coaches that want to control every aspect of the game, but still wonder why their players don't have a high game IQ.

Mar 28, 2014
The fallacy in all this is the belief that you develop a pitcher in a game....
Add this to the growing list of incorrect thoughts/theories I've seen you put on here. The amount of mis-information being spread as fact at this place these days is staggering.

May 29, 2015
Add this to the growing list of incorrect thoughts/theories I've seen you put on here. The amount of mis-information being spread as fact at this place these days is staggering.

You don’t learn from taking tests. The learning happens before that.

I don’t think @DNeeld was saying there is no value in games. As many of us have said on a wide variety of topics related: most of the learning and development should occur in all the activities before the game ... practice, lessons, etc. The game furthers that and cements it by providing experience.

Jul 31, 2019

This kid is the ranked as the top 2020 graduate, she is going to OU next year (as a CF). In that video she was 12U. Go to 1:15 in the video, I will not rest until Marcela can make that play (will likely mean I will never rest..LOL!!)

As 12's (2018) we played in the Elite Select WFC in Kansas City, and it was an outstanding event. Represented by most of the top programs in the country. OC Batbusters, Texas Glory (we played Adkins and Naudin), Tennessee Mojo, Georgia Impact, DS Hotshots, OC Firecracker, Nebraska Gold, Iowa Premier, Tulsa Elite, etc. I strongly recommend the event. The umpires and venue's were excellent as well. We also play the PGF Midwest Championships the Dave Betcher runs and the WFC were a notch above based on the teams it drew.
This is another one:

If you want to see the top 12U teams in the country, PGF has their championship games on youtube.

As 12's (2018) we played in the Elite Select WFC in Kansas City, and it was an outstanding event. Represented by most of the top programs in the country. OC Batbusters, Texas Glory (we played Adkins and Naudin), Tennessee Mojo, Georgia Impact, DS Hotshots, OC Firecracker, Nebraska Gold, Iowa Premier, Tulsa Elite, etc. I strongly recommend the event. The umpires and venue's were excellent. We also play the PGF Midwest Championships the Dave Betcher runs and the WFC were a notch above based on the teams it drew.

Jul 31, 2019
Over the years I've had a few catchers that can call pitches, but not a game in its entirety. Pitcher always has the freedom to shake a pitch, and the catcher can signal me she's something that she wants to exploit. We always meet in the dugout to talk about what's working and what's not. We also meet and talk about the umpires strike zone. The reason I don't believe in a pitcher or catcher calling the whole game is there are too many other moving parts and strategies that need to be taken into account which I believe is too much to process AND execute pitches or receiving. In addition, communication skills continue to be on the decline, which is another issue altogether. Now with that said, I will at times tell the catcher "this is your inning", then we review her decisions and thought process after the game.

Regarding when to call pitches, I start at 10U. Within the limits of the pitcher's capabilities, it's limited to location starting with working ahead with her best pitch, then working corners, chase pitches and change-ups. My top metrics for my pitchers are FPS, %K's, walks, HBP, wild pitches and pitches/inning, so I don't get too crazy. These change slightly as they get older. By the time they are 12, I want them to feel comfortable throwing a change on 0-0 and 3-2 counts

Jun 8, 2016
As 12's (2018) we played in the Elite Select WFC in Kansas City, and it was an outstanding event. Represented by most of the top programs in the country. OC Batbusters, Texas Glory (we played Adkins and Naudin), Tennessee Mojo, Georgia Impact, DS Hotshots, OC Firecracker, Nebraska Gold, Iowa Premier, Tulsa Elite, etc. I strongly recommend the event. The umpires and venue's were excellent as well. We also play the PGF Midwest Championships the Dave Betcher runs and the WFC were a notch above based on the teams it drew.
Yes WFC is a great tournament. Team from around here won 10's last year I believe. The reason I mentioned PGF Nationals is @uncdrew said he wanted to see what 12A teams looked like and PGF Nationals has their championship game on youtube.

Oct 4, 2018
Yes WFC is a great tournament. Team from around here won 10's last year I believe. The reason I mentioned PGF Nationals is @uncdrew said he wanted to see what 12A teams looked like and PGF Nationals has their championship game on youtube.

Thanks. I will check that out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802