Errors vs hits in scoring

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Batting average should only be a small part of evaluating a hitter. Especially because of the subjectivity of some scorekeepers. Hard hit balls and on base percentage are ones I look at more closely. Some weekends a girl could line out hard 3/4 times and another girls gets 3/4 hits on bloopers in the right spot. Hit the ball hard and don’t strike out a lot and you will keep most coaches happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But OBP rewards those bloopers.

To me it's hitting the ball hard and not striking out. Which is basically what you said too. :p

Jul 11, 2023
But OBP rewards those bloopers.

To me it's hitting the ball hard and not striking out. Which is basically what you said too. :p
As far as GC goes though, you're just shifting the 'problem' to the opinion of what is or isn't a hard hit ball. At least if you go back and look at stats.

In my brief coaching career, I kept a journal after every game so I could remember certain details where I knew GC stats would let me down.

Oct 4, 2018
A few comments:

1. If the scorekeeper has nothing against your daughter, the ROEs will even out in time. Just bad luck for your DD
2. A coach in most youth softball should use performance over the last two tournaments or so, not performance over the entire season. Girls improve so quickly, have slumps, etc. Girls shouldn't be rewarded or punished in July because of a tournament in March. Yet so many coaches look at the season-long stats, not recent stats.
3. IMHO, a good coach uses a combination of stats and observation. If a girl is putting the ball in play, not striking out, hitting the ball hard... you play them. I don't care all that much what her BA is.

Oct 4, 2018
As far as GC goes though, you're just shifting the 'problem' to the opinion of what is or isn't a hard hit ball. At least if you go back and look at stats.

In my brief coaching career, I kept a journal after every game so I could remember certain details where I knew GC stats would let me down.

Agreed. And counting on GameChanger which is often entered by a parent who has bias... not a great idea.

As you see in the post I posted right after yours, coaches need to observe and remember, along with stats. Jotting down notes is wise. Enough observation and you can spot the girls about to go off, girls about to slump, etc. etc.

May 20, 2016
It's tough, but shouldn't sweat it. My DD is a slapper, which a good portion of that style is to make the opposing team have to play a tough bounce. When not trying to lift it to the outfield she is aiming 3' in front of the player she is targeting. She has more ROE than the rest of the team by far. But end of the day I tell her that it is what helps her team to be as successful as they are. Her job as a lead off hitter is to get on base and score runs. And she averages more than a run per game.

If someone were to judge you simply on a quick glance at your numbers, it's probably someone you shouldn't be playing for.

Jul 18, 2022
I've been "gifted" with the official scoring for my team.
  • Parents that have issues with the scoring, I will often try to review the feed b/c the apps aren't always the best and we've just recently move from GC to AGL for scoring (there's a learning curve).
    • If it's obvious it wasn't an error, I will update it.
    • If I have a question, I'll reach out to the coach for direction, considering he's the one interpreting the stats.
    • If I don't a change is warranted, I will refer the parent to the coach and he can update it if he wants.
  • Scoring the errors is often subjective and error prone in itself. When there's a fly ball that three fielders all decided to get under but no one touched it, it's a single. When a hit with a relatively experienced fielder could've been caught but the lesser experienced player doesn't get under properly and doesn't even touch it, it's considered a single. It depends so much on the players on the other team
  • I generally go by the "would that be fieldable or get the player out with reasonable effort?" (No 3' leaps) and do not go by "if the fielder touched the ball at all" b/c that is stupid (again, subjective).
  • I've recorded my daughter's hits as errors and then had to look at them again when others commented on the "great hit". I will often refer to the other teams and see how they scored it as well. Yes, I'm slightly paranoid about being "that scoring parent".
Lastly, all the stats are too dependent on those other teams. DD just finished a tournament and had an AVG .875 and OBP of .929. Yeah, those are amazing stats but not really considering the teams they played. Many of those hits would have been outs against better players in her division. Our coaches know this, just as any good coach should.

Jul 18, 2022
It's tough, but shouldn't sweat it. My DD is a slapper, which a good portion of that style is to make the opposing team have to play a tough bounce. When not trying to lift it to the outfield she is aiming 3' in front of the player she is targeting. She has more ROE than the rest of the team by far. But end of the day I tell her that it is what helps her team to be as successful as they are. Her job as a lead off hitter is to get on base and score runs. And she averages more than a run per game.

If someone were to judge you simply on a quick glance at your numbers, it's probably someone you shouldn't be playing for.

We have a slapper on my DD's team and I see the work she puts in. Those are often not errors on the fielder but incredible slaps getting that bounce down. I rarely score them as error when done right and the fielders can't handle it. We had a tournament game where the opposing team was struggling so much with her bounces they decided to walk her. ;)

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Slappers generally get the worst of it. When you are getting down the line in 2.7 seconds it puts a ton of pressure on the defense. That pressure causes anxiety and therefore mistakes. Also there are times when the 3rd basemen bobbles or throws away the ball in which the slapper would have been safe even if she had not bobbled. Those are tough calls.
Strong hitter with exit velo 75ish also get a lot of ROE because they hit the ball so damn hard that they causes errors. Good coaches don't solely rely on stats. We recently started charting QUABS in the dugout in real time. I like it.
QUABS:
AB with 6 or more pitches (no Ks)
Hit
Walk
Sac bunt
Sac fly
Hard it ball
RBI

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members