Errors vs hits in scoring

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2023
_especially_ at 10u, I'd argue that most stats are almost worthless. The difference between hit/roe seems almost meaningless, particularly for season totals. variable parent scoring, variable defenses, field conditions, etc.

I think you can glean something from Ks, BBs, and Hits (with every ROE being a hit) You learn who puts the ball in play, who misses the pitch, and maybe who's not aggressive/confident enough by the ratios between those.

Jan 20, 2023
Is this 10u? On the ground ball with a bad throw, if a good throw gets the out it is an error.

We’d Have to see the line drive to know. My friend recently barely got his glove on a line drive. He deflected it off his face. That was an error.

It’s 14u. I’m not saying I think none of them are errors. Just if it’s worth discussing with coach that there is a disproportionate amount. A number of them were scored as hits by the opposing team. The over throw on first was an error.

Maybe she just puts a curse on the opposing teams before the games and they always make errors on her hits.

ETA - there have been not- hits that she got to second on and both the initial not-hit and the advance were considered errors. I would think if you hit it hard enough to get to second you should at least be credited with a single - but an outfielder starts rolling around on the ground and my kid’s batting average goes down.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2011
My DD led her high school team in ROE during her sophomore and junior years. She was very happy her junior year when my wife wasn't the official book since she only led the team on ROE by 1. My DD has a knack for hitting the ball hard right at people, being slightly hard to handle. Her sophomore year she was 7th for batting average and would have been 3rd if ROE didn't count against her.

So I can sympathize and hope the coach is recognizing her contributions.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018
It’s 14u. I’m not saying I think none of them are errors. Just if it’s worth discussing with coach that there is a disproportionate amount. A number of them were scored as hits by the opposing team. The over throw on first was an error.

Maybe she just puts a curse on the opposing teams before the games and they always make errors on her hits.

ETA - there have been not- hits that she got to second on and both the initial not-hit and the advance were considered errors. I would think if you hit it hard enough to get to second you should at least be credited with a single - but an outfielder starts rolling around on the ground and my kid’s batting average goes down.
at 14u Game changer scoring is definitely not something I would go to a coach about. Obviously we have not seen the plays to determine what is or is not an error. But getting to second has nothing to do with getting a hit or not. If an outfielder drops a ball and the batter reaches first, that is an error. If the fielder then picks up the ball and air mails the ball; if the runner then advanced to 2nd, that is a second error. The other option here is that the outfielder got one error and it was a two base error. Either way, it is not a hit.

I score for my team. If the batter runner never slowed down, I would give one error with the batter on second. If the batter runner hesitated or slowed down then decided to run after a terrible throw in, I'd give a second error.

Obviously there is a little more leeway in 14u softball than the MLB, but watch this video. The Pitcher gets 3 errors on one play.
1. He fails to pick up the ball cleanly.
2. He throws the ball past first base.
3. He throws the ball past the catcher.

Nov 18, 2015
The other key thing to check before approaching the coach is to see how other player's hits are scored. Is it just your daughter being victim of the ROE, or are their other players as well?

I can see why some posters would say "not worth it", but in this case, if the coach has already stated they are going to set the lineup based on BA, then I think you're justified starting the conversation.

Can you clarify this one for us? "I would think if you hit it hard enough to get to second you should at least be credited with a single - but an outfielder starts rolling around on the ground and my kid’s batting average goes down." Was it a clean hit, and the OF tripped? Or was it hit right at her, and she fell/dropped the ball? Any overthrow or misplay of a ball already on the ground should at least be a single + x base error (# of bases advanced due to the error).

Aug 5, 2022
My bigger concern here would be a 14u coach that’s setting his line up based on BA alone. That’s lazy coaching and doesn’t take into consideration about a thousand things a good coach should think about when setting line ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01