End of season.Time to start new season.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Someone pointed this out to me.See what you think.If I showed Laura how to better load her hands this might help her not have ELAE.DD stretches her hands/arms alot as she strides.She doesn't walk away from her hands as she strides.She strides and as she strides she also stretches her arms straight back.There is no bend in her front elbow.Not making excuses it may be her tee swings.Again to get more power in her hits or this maybe her live at bat swings.Either way it needs to be addressed.She has been doing this for awhile.What do you think?

Oct 14, 2008
There is no need to push the hands backwards, Just simply walk away leaving the hands where they are. As long as the hands wind up out side of the plane of the shoulders at load they will act independently. Leaving them inside the plane of the shoulders at load will cause a reverse effect of what she is doing now, the elbows and shoulders will rotate as one unit.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
As it has been pointed out from the posters.DD does not "walk away from hands'' correctly.We need to work on loading the hands correctly.Using Busto's as a example her hands stay relatively still in space as her body moves forward with the stride.My DD's hands go way back where she straightens her arms as she strides.If we learn to leave the hands where they are as DD strides out is that what we should work on?This will get the bend in the lead arm and help her maintain her box better.Thoughts?

Oct 14, 2008
I believe it defiantly would help. If she is stretching her hands so far back she wraps, then yes, As she gets older and matures into her swing she may find she either requires or needs more separation. From a starting point just walking away would probably be the best and easiest thing for her to accomplish. The bend can be accomplished at a better rate if her front shoulder stays closed longer and her upper body does not lag behind the lower when she shifts as she gets to contact.

Tim

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
View attachment 2269 Here is where the problem starts.See how far her hands/arms are stretch out.There is no bend in the elbow.Also the bat wrap.If I have her learn the correct way to load the hands this may fix the upstream problem in her swing.Sound like a good plan?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Someone pointed this out to me.See what you think.If I showed Laura how to better load her hands this might help her not have ELAE.DD stretches her hands/arms alot as she strides.She doesn't walk away from her hands as she strides.She strides and as she strides she also stretches her arms straight back.There is no bend in her front elbow.Not making excuses it may be her tee swings.Again to get more power in her hits or this maybe her live at bat swings.Either way it needs to be addressed.She has been doing this for awhile.What do you think?

Pretty decent. The hands do not go 'backward', but 'rearward'. That 'rearward' action should largely be controlled by the 'top hand/arm', and not the 'bottom hand/arm'. For the most part the 'bottom hand/arm' is along for the ride for this portion ... at the mercy of the 'top hand/arm' being more in control ... and while 'some' ELAE will be realized, there shouldn't be nearly the amount that your daughter currently realizes.

So yes ... stop pushing back with the lead arm, and instead put the feel of control in the top arm/hand.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
View attachment 2269 Here is where the problem starts.See how far her hands/arms are stretch out.There is no bend in the elbow.Also the bat wrap.If I have her learn the correct way to load the hands this may fix the upstream problem in her swing.Sound like a good plan?

That is the 'result' of the problem. The problem started earlier in 'how' the hands were brought 'backward' instead of 'rearward'.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Very normal for good hitters to realize ELAE when moving from their 'stance' to 'launch' positions ... just not to the degree of the young lady being discussed in this post. The 'how' the hands are brought 'rearward' is the difference.

34dk80o.gif

2uesoeq.gif

Sep 17, 2009
Rdbass, I think FFS is on to your fix.

Here's a further suggestion: have her use a one-hand trainer bat (or a small tee ball bat) and do one-handed swings with her top hand: work her top hand load rearward (knob to catcher, or whatever cue you like) and then and barrel turn/hammer move forward, independent of the front arm. I really like the feel that drill produces. Do it off a tee first, but you can do front-toss too (there's a video of Cal Ripken doing this drill somewhere).

Then add the front arm along for the ride, as FFS suggests, but keeping the top hand in control.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors