End of season.Time to start new season.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
As FFS pointed out in post #39, she doesn't load her hands correctly. She loads them straight back towards the catcher. If I were working with her I wouldn't say a word to her about her front arm position, front shoulder or anything else related to "UNLOADING". I would simply get to work teaching her how to LOAD her hands.

Here is Slaught demonstrating the side arm throw motion. I get the kids to do this motion with a t-ball bat or training bat and throw the bat into a net.
Back Arm IR to ER jpeg.JPG

Here is Ted doing what Slaught is doing above with two hands on the bat. Internal to External:
Williams flattening barrel jpeg.JPG

I get the kids going from one hand throws to two handed throws with the goal of keeping the same underlying action used in the one arm swings. The bottom hand on the bat should naturally alter the throwing motion performed in the one arm swings, and the kids should get a decent throw. I tell them to aim for where the pitcher's head would be. Make sure the kids know that it's ok to drop their hands as they begin the throwing sequence. If they perform the throwing motion correctly, their hands will always end up at about armpit height regardless of where they start their hands in their stance.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
As FFS pointed out in post #39, she doesn't load her hands correctly. She loads them straight back towards the catcher. If I were working with her I wouldn't say a word to her about her front arm position, front shoulder or anything else related to "UNLOADING". I would simply get to work teaching her how to LOAD her hands.

Here is Slaught demonstrating the side arm throw motion. I get the kids to do this motion with a t-ball bat or training bat and throw the bat into a net.
View attachment 2274

Here is Ted doing what Slaught is doing above with two hands on the bat. Internal to External:
View attachment 2275

I get the kids going from one hand throws to two handed throws with the goal of keeping the same underlying action used in the one arm swings. The bottom hand on the bat should naturally alter the throwing motion performed in the one arm swings, and the kids should get a decent throw. I tell them to aim for where the pitcher's head would be. Make sure the kids know that it's ok to drop their hands as they begin the throwing sequence. If they perform the throwing motion correctly, their hands will always end up at about armpit height regardless of where they start their hands in their stance.

Not to hurt your feelings.

Look at the elbow leading the hand in Slaughts demo. If not taught right that is bat drag.
Ok to drop the hands in the swing??... sounds risky....could be very costly and hard to fix down the road.
Also dropping the back shoulder could occur.

Slaught and RVP would have the correct way of doing the drills in the video

SL

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009

Look at the elbow leading the hand in Slaughts demo. If not taught right that is bat drag.
Ok to drop the hands in the swing??... sounds risky....could be very costly and hard to fix down the road.

SL

Sounds like someone is being facetious. Even with a bat in his hands he wouldn't be at bat drag yet, nor dropping his hands. Besides, it's a comparison to throwing.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Sounds like someone is being facetious. Even with a bat in his hands he wouldn't be at bat drag yet, nor dropping his hands. Besides, it's a comparison to throwing.

You posted this in another thread? Are you changing your mind

This is NOT bashing. This is discussing! I do not read any insults into the post. There was nothing posted that should offend anyone.

There are sites where the posts are so politely correct that they have very minimal activity. And then it's mostly announcements or congratulatory posts. (Yes, I meant politely—not politically.)

This site does it right. We need all the Wellphyt, FFS, SL, SBF, rdbass, etc., we can get. MTR, even. Take away those posters and a couple others and we'd be in a vacuum.

They can hold their own; I don't foresee any of them quitting. Tolerating a little feuding is a small price to pay for the lessons learned.

Have at it!

Oct 25, 2009
You posted this in another thread? Are you changing your mind

This is NOT bashing. This is discussing! I do not read any insults into the post. There was nothing posted that should offend anyone.

There are sites where the posts are so politely correct that they have very minimal activity. And then it's mostly announcements or congratulatory posts. (Yes, I meant politely—not politically.)

This site does it right. We need all the Wellphyt, FFS, SL, SBF, rdbass, etc., we can get. MTR, even. Take away those posters and a couple others and we'd be in a vacuum.

They can hold their own; I don't foresee any of them quitting. Tolerating a little feuding is a small price to pay for the lessons learned.

Have at it!

No, I haven't changed my mind. Facetious and bashing have very different meanings to me.

Your post seemed somewhat tongue-in-cheek to me.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
"Can't we all just get along"
I kind of lean more towards Yeager on the load phase of the back arm.Where the long bone in the upper arm will begin to reverse its direction and externally rotate @ the shoulder joint (aka turn outward).This External rotation or turning-out of the long bone(humerus) in the upper arm is how the ball when throwing,and the hands and bat when hitting,truly gets back and stays back at the correct point of the throw/swing.The examples are how a catcher externally rotates his back arm to make a throw to second.All most everyone can visualize this action.I'm looking for this back arm action.I still need to correct the front arm extending so far.I hope this is just something she does while hitting off a tee.I know in live hitting her front arm isn't in the correct postion,but I don't think it gets that far extented,because I don't think she has that much time against live pitching.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia

SL

There's nothing you or anyone else on here can say to hurt my feelings:D

The same back arm action used in the overhand throw helps to PREVENT bat drag; it does not CAUSE bat drag. One arm swings using the throwing motion as a blueprint; introduces some internal rotation of the rear upper arm when the hands load, and introduces some external rotation of the rear upper arm when the arms/hands flatten the barrel to the swing plane. The vast majority of kids that I coach, see at tournaments, and see posted on here; are missing those two actions.

Internal to External:
Hamilton_side_fullload.gif

Hosmer_Hands.gif

The Hosmer clip shows a good view of how the back elbow pokes back behind the hitter instead of moving straight back towards the catcher. If you will swing a bat and experiment, you will find that you can't reproduce the poke of the back elbow seen in the Hosmer clip, without some internal rotation of the upper arm.

If you were to swing a bat, you would find that the bottom hand on the bat naturally alters the throwing motion, giving you the action seen in the Hosmer clip.

For those parents who might now be concerned about one handed drills causing bat due due to SL's comments; you would be wise to keep in mind that hitters don't swing with one hand. Hitters typically use two hands on the bat when facing live pitching. Epstein describes the top hand as the power source and the bottom hand as a guide.

Here is a fastpitch player being RISKY and dropping her hands. Cochran does it as well, as do many others:

1587fde.gif

The hand drop is timed with the hip cock and is the natural way for kids to sync up their hands with their lower body so that their hands don't go back during the hip cock; leading to the dreaded "All Back All Forward". Most coaches/instructors coach this natural action out of kids, which creates sync issues, lack of stretch issues, bat drag issues, weight shift issues and extension issues, etc.

When I throw a ball, I break my hands DOWN. The hand drop in hitting is the downward break of the hands in throwing. Always remember that when we hit we use two hands, and the bottom hand in hitting will naturally alter the throwing motion.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
RBass
Worked with a 80lb 7th grade girl last night. Ball sounded flat off her bat.
Has a swing very similar to your daughter. She locked her lead arm out early in the swing. We did some matrix drills.
Showed her how the lead elbow travels 2-4 inches straight before it goes up a ramp.

Next I had her stand straight up and down. Asked her to stick her butt out. Barely soften knees next.
This engauge's the core and gave her the tilt needed to release underneath verses a flat circular swing.

Hits one off the tee, then another.
Crack off the bat. She hears this sound. Its not flat. I asked her.
Do you need tilt in your swing or do we need to go out and buy a new bat.
She says tilt, her dad says, Thank you.

She seen it first, she felt it next, we started to fix it.

SL

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I get tearing eye thinking how far Laura has come.Thanks to the help of all the posters.Last game of year (believe it or not)single, homerun rf cf gap and walk.I teared up on that to.We have a ways to go yet.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors