End of season.Time to start new season.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 14, 2008
A few drills, that I use that may help you, first stand behind her with a rope, have her hold the rope like a bat in her hand, you hold the other end. Pull it taught. have her weight shift, then pull the rope with her front hand and not her shoulder going to contact, when she uses the front elbow to contact you will see both arms will be bent, The straight arm is caused by the shoulder pull. Do this and get to contact and have her check her arms, do it slowly, in what we would call the matrix.

Next is a hammer drill, have her hold a hammer by the handle like she would a bat, then remove the back hand completely from the handle. weight shift, and using the front elbow and her hips have her slowly take the hammer head to contact, watching and not allowing her front shoulder to open until the last second. You can hold a bat knob up at the contact point for her to hit gently with the hammer.

After the hammer then you can use a t ball bat and do front arm only swings at the matrix speed, doing the hammer drill with a bat on a ball, again making sure the front shoulder isnt being used to drive to contact.

Just a few drills I have used and found beneficial in solving the front shoulder issue,. Good luck ......

Tim

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Thanks will give that a try.I have the info that Hitter has posted from years ago that I saved.DD started out with the arms first,level shoulders swing.We started with the bottom first.So know we need to get her top fixed.You are right about,seems her first movement is her shoulders.She needs to use her hands correctly.It would help if her hips moved first.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
View attachment 2262View attachment 2263View attachment 2264View attachment 2265
This is still shots of DD swing.This is the start of where I think it goes bad.Her swing doesn't look right to me.Her front arm is too straight.Is it because of to much bat wrap? Or is just because it's off a tee? I know she pulls open to soon.I need to teach her to stay down and in longer.Trying to give as much info as I can.For all the dads the pics and video are from Kinovea.It is free(yes free)and easy(yes easy)so easy even I can use it.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Dobson at LSU had dd put an elastic band around front hand and front elbow. If elbow straightens before contact, band snaps off, it shouldn't snap off before contact.
I still think learning a weight shift would fix it all. She is spinning/squishing, weight shift with tilt would stop the front shoulder spinning out also.

Slide step and lead arm action for hitting - ISOBaseball

Jun 11, 2012
Had same problem with my DD. Her hitting coach, who played for the Cardinal's org., had her start with her left elbow in the center of her chest. When she started her swing to lock her back (right) elbow against her hip (called the slot) and lead with her left elbow. He had her do it in 3 separate phases: 1 - take stride (if she does); 2 - transfer weight to back but still 60-40; 3 - swing and concentrate on keeping hands inside of ball.

Another drill DD does to help keep her front shoulder in, is to set up a tee on the outside of the plate BUT have the ball set at the black part at the front of the plate. Tell her to concentrate on hitting the ball up the middle. I know outside pitches go to opposite field but with the contact point at the front of the plate it will help in keeping her front shoulder in. If she pulls the ball to left field she is casting. Hope this helps. Did for my DD.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
View attachment 2261Here is Laura at contact.

See how her lead arm goes out towards pitcher then makes a 90 degree angle to come down the bat at impact. Look at photo below. See how bat and lead arm are more straight in line. Both elbows are bent some.
Just like bouldersdad mentioned

Think elbows sliding across a table top...That is what they call maintaining the box.
The front elbow bent will travel 2-4 inches before it goes up a ramp..... What bouldersdad said it will keep the lead shoulder in there longer...it wont look like it is flying out early

The bat will take a different path to the ball
It will also change the finish

SL

Hips unloaded.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Dobson at LSU had dd put an elastic band around front hand and front elbow. If elbow straightens before contact, band snaps off, it shouldn't snap off before contact.
I still think learning a weight shift would fix it all. She is spinning/squishing, weight shift with tilt would stop the front shoulder spinning out also.

Slide step and lead arm action for hitting - ISOBaseball

To the contrary ... the issue here is with the excessive ELAE (Early Lead Arm Extension) that takes place prior to swing initiation.

Oct 14, 2008
View attachment 2262View attachment 2263View attachment 2264View attachment 2265
This is still shots of DD swing.This is the start of where I think it goes bad.Her swing doesn't look right to me.Her front arm is too straight.Is it because of to much bat wrap? Or is just because it's off a tee? I know she pulls open to soon.I need to teach her to stay down and in longer.Trying to give as much info as I can.For all the dads the pics and video are from Kinovea.It is free(yes free)and easy(yes easy)so easy even I can use it.

Dosent really matter if it is off a tee , look at her chest, it is turned totally toward the pitcher, that means her front side has completely opened up at contact. Look at most high level hitters at contact you will see the chest is at best a 45 degree angle to the pitcher. If you see an arm bar that means that she has bled off her power before contact. The coil we all strive to have at contact is gone. Keep the front shoulder closed as long as possible.

Throw her an out side pitch ..... if she hits it all all it will be a shank. If the arm straightens at contact the bat shortens also. Work on the front elbow getting her to contact before the front shoulder flies open.

Tim

Jul 17, 2012
This is more of a question than it is advice, as I don't want to knock any of the great advice and knowledge that gets passed around on this site. I look at that swing and find little fault. The ONLY thing that looks a little out of whack is the excessive bat wrap, but I have a hunch that the mere 100 lb. frame has a bit to do with that. She looks like she's doing so to generate more power due to the lack of strength in her small frame. Once again, not by any means a knock on the hitter, or the advice of any previous posters. My question/comment is....wouldn't she be far better served by working on some activity/drills to strengthen her core muscles and bat speed rather than splitting hairs on the minuscule flaws in the swing? We often see reference to the Pujols or Bonds swings because they generate tremendous power. Yes, they are technically sound, but they are also incredibly strong men. Much of the success they enjoy is due as much credit to their overall body strength as it is their mechanics.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30