Effective Velocity for Effective Pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I started this as a response to another thread but then thought maybe it had enough merit to warrant its own thread.

This may sound a little advanced for young pitchers (and lots of advanced pitchers) but just bear with me on this as it might be the easiest skill to add into their repertoire.

There is a technique called Effective Velocitythat is very prevalent in baseball pitching that is becoming more widely accepted in fastpitch softball. Basically it has to do with the reaction time a hitter has to get the bat head to contact. In essence the exact same speed pitch thrown at different locations creates different effective velocities because of how far the bat head has to travel to make solid contact.

For example a 60 mph fastball in the middle of the zone has the effect of a 60 mph pitch; that same 60 mph pitch located low and outside corner will have an effective velocity of a 58 mph pitch; that same 60 mph pitch located up and inside corner will have an effective velocity of a 62 mph pitch. Think of that....a 4 mph range on the exact same pitch.
Now if a pitcher can just add a couple mph up to 62 mph or take a couple mph off to say 58 mph now their range can be near 8 mph....that is significant relative to a hitters ability to read and adjust the timing of their bat launch.
Varying a pitch speed by plus or minus 2 mph should not be real difficult for most intermediate to advanced pitchers.....now what if they can also mix in a true change up for good measure.......big advantage pitcher. What's really neat is that there aren't a whole bunch of "fancy pitches" needed......just a plain old fastball with varying speeds and a change up.

For a much more in-depth look at EV you can check out this website:

http://www.hittingisaguess.com/F_book.html

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Good to see some activity out of you....Hope all is well with Ga.
This is a very interesting topic. When dd still pitched, she was never overwhelmingly fast but she was extremely accurate. We typically worked east to west combo'd with a heavy dose of change ups and found a fair amount of success. I'd love to hear more on this subject. Thanks

Next time you are throwing batting practice try randomly throwing 3 different speeds......amazing how difficult it is for your hitters to figure it out. Interestingly enough the middle speed seems to be the one they struggle with the most.....haven't figured that one out yet. Here are the BP speeds that I try to simulate:
65 mph (dad had the radar gun on me so it has to be true....:)....actually, 58 mph, 52 mph, and 46 mph.

Personally, I believe it is ideal to have four distinctively different speeds. At a young age this can be accomplished by just varying your fastball speed combined with a change up. As a pitcher progresses, her various movement pitches should be able to fill in the four speeds.....so now you've got EV and ball movement......life doesn't get any better than that.
Lots of major league baseball players are satisfied "pitching to contact" when they know with their EV the end result will be a ground ball to the infield or a weak flyball. Strike outs are great but an out is an out so my recommendation is that pitchers/instructors give more consideration to EV.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
60 mph is still on my bucket list... I can't find a consistent parent or student/catcher who is willing to catch for me...

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Next time you are throwing batting practice try randomly throwing 3 different speeds......amazing how difficult it is for your hitters to figure it out. Interestingly enough the middle speed seems to be the one they struggle with the most.....haven't figured that one out yet. Here are the BP speeds that I try to simulate:
65 mph (dad had the radar gun on me so it has to be true....:)....actually, 58 mph, 52 mph, and 46 mph.

Personally, I believe it is ideal to have four distinctively different speeds. At a young age this can be accomplished by just varying your fastball speed combined with a change up. As a pitcher progresses, her various movement pitches should be able to fill in the four speeds.....so now you've got EV and ball movement......life doesn't get any better than that.
Lots of major league baseball players are satisfied "pitching to contact" when they know with their EV the end result will be a ground ball to the infield or a weak flyball. Strike outs are great but an out is an out so my recommendation is that pitchers/instructors give more consideration to EV.

This was Greg Maddux's secret that led him to Cooperstown.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Greg Maddux is in Cooperstown because he could throw any pitch on any count.....batters were always guessing.

Pinpoint location, multiple movement pitches, and multiple speeds introduce a significant number of variables so that the odds of a hitter guessing correctly are very poor. DW's favorite thing about Maddux was the little smirk that sometimes was displayed after getting a hitter out on a batting practice speed pitch.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
Thank you Rick Pauly (seemed disrespectful to just call you Rick️) this is something I have not heard anyone talk about, but I have told my dd that in order to get out good batters she has to hit her spots and vary her speed, besides just her change up. Its nice to know I wasn't just talkin out my butt. It's also nice to here if she can master it, she can be very effective with a fastball and CU. She's 14 and only has a fastball, working on her change. She has an idea of the spins and grip for screw, drop and drop curve but she doesn't practice them much. She's working on some tweaks right now,
I feel privileged to be a part of this forum with so many great softball minds in one place!!

60 mph is still on my bucket list... I can't find a consistent parent or student/catcher who is willing to catch for me...

Ken B.
I would absolutely catch for you. I never played any ball sport, lol that sounded funny when I read it in my head, it made laugh.
Anywho, I learned to catch for my dd out of necessity and discovered I really love catching too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles