Dumbbells not effective with olympic lifts?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I read somewhere that dummbells aren't a good replacement for a barbell with olympic lifts and that someone would benefit more and gain more power with a barbell. Then I read somewhere that using dumbbells were better because they lessened the risk of injury while doing olympic lifts. What is really the truth?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
It's balance that you are looking for in dumbbells. I powerlifted in HS and early 20's, until I started getting outmatched by some real monsters. We always alterated using barbell and dumbbells while doing deadlifts, cleans, hang cleans, snatches, curls, bench press, etc. I'm not sure if i would go as far to say one is better than the other. But you CAN feel the difference in your muscles.

Proud dad here........During winter HS softball conditioning DD maxed out on bench press at 160 lbs. She is 14, 5'6" and 145, and hard as a rock. The closest to her was a senior, at 125 lbs.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Goingdeep is right...one isn't better than the other, they are different.

A dumbbell allows you to work one arm independent of the other. By using dumbells, one side doesn't become much stronger than the other side.

On the other hand, you are most likely to use both arms simultaneously when performing a "real world" activity, so it is good to practice using them together.

Like Goingdeep said, alternate using the two.

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Let's start with an easy fact: free weights will always be much better than machine for sports conditioning and fitness in general.

With that said, you should always use both.

They are no rules or right ways - just guidelines and principles.

Typically, we prefer dumbbell for higher reps stuff to build balance, stability, endurance, micmic more closely the demands of life and sports, etc. Anything 10-20 reps should mostly be done ideally with dumbbells for ''most'' exercises.

However, barbells are usually prefer when we work on heavy loads or max strength - usually anything 4-8 reps.

For example, it is actually not that advised to do bench press extensively using a BB for lots of reps (10 +). You might as well do DB work, push-ups, and use other chest exercises. Keep the bench for max strength work - 4-8 reps with heavy loads.

This idea should apply to squats as well. You can do single leg squats, lunges, step-ups who are all great exercises for sports, strength, and mass-building and keep the ''king of all lower body exercises'' - the BB squat for work under 10 reps with heavier loads.

Again, you might get different opinion but this is the dominant school of thought among strength and conditioning coach. Also, most Olympic lifting is of course done with BB but lots of very cool variations using DB to complement the main exercises.

Coach Marc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06