Play up or not?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I brought my 10U Allstar team to the ASA Southern Nationals in Dallas. This was my first experience where I felt truly out matched. We played several teams that could mash the ball. It seemed every pitch ended up in the outfield and all of their swings looked the same. When I say the same, they looked really good. I often wondered where girls from that time period ended up. I am looking at team picture from that tourney hanging on the walls of my office. One player is at UPenn and 2 others are playing on the same college team (my DD) and they are working on renting a house together in the fall. The rest are no longer playing softball.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I brought my 10U Allstar team to the ASA Southern Nationals in Dallas. This was my first experience where I felt truly out matched. We played several teams that could mash the ball. It seemed every pitch ended up in the outfield and all of their swings looked the same. When I say the same, they looked really good. I often wondered where girls from that time period ended up. I am looking at team picture from that tourney hanging on the walls of my office. One player is at UPenn and 2 others are playing on the same college team (my DD) and they are working on renting a house together in the fall. The rest are no longer playing softball.

I never ceased to be amazed at the number of players who dominated at 10U who were out of the game by HS.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
And it's an 11" ball at 10U.

Yup. Another good point. At 10yo, my DD's hand couldn't properly handle the larger ball to pitch with. So, for me, that would be a concern or factor to think about. Pitching at 10 is about confidence building and establishing a love for the position. Because, at 12-14 it starts becoming more about how much detail work she's putting in. And that's not always "fun". But her love of the game and pitching will help her want to do that work.

If you're leaving meatballs over the plate at 12u, you can have coaches offering you less circle time and could end up being discouraging. Not saying that will be the case. But is a piece I would consider.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2015
The speed with the 12" ball is one of my main concerns. She is only throwing about 40 with it and thatvis on a good day. Early in the spring in 12U if she took any off and left one over the plate the older girls smashed it. Her placement is good and her changeup gets better everyday. She can also generate more spin with the 11" ball. If pitching was her number one goal it would be a lot easier because I would definitely say stay in 10U. I am actually leaning more towards the 10U just don't want to have to be rethinking where we are come next spring. As I said before she will have the ultimate say so as I think she would be fine either way.

So…I’m guessing softball is not super strong in your area by your statement of pitch speed here. While a truly elite 10u team is kind of a chuckle my daughters play for an elite organization. My 2011s 10u team has 4 pitchers that I shirt you not throw over 55mph from 35 feet and the top 2 have wicked change ups to go with it and are hitting 60 in lessons. Those kids are unicorns and it’s ridiculous how good they are. My older daughters 10u team back 5-6 yrs ago had our top pitcher in the low 50s and once we hit 12u our pitcher threw in the high 50s to low 60s. Just giving you and idea of what’s out there when you really start talking about an elite team a pitcher throwing 40mph would not have seen the mound on any of the teams they have played for so find the very best team she can pitch for a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 31, 2021
So…I’m guessing softball is not super strong in your area by your statement of pitch speed here. While a truly elite 10u team is kind of a chuckle my daughters play for an elite organization. My 2011s 10u team has 4 pitchers that I shirt you not throw over 55mph from 35 feet and the top 2 have wicked change ups to go with it and are hitting 60 in lessons. Those kids are unicorns and it’s ridiculous how good they are. My older daughters 10u team back 5-6 yrs ago had our top pitcher in the low 50s and once we hit 12u our pitcher threw in the high 50s to low 60s. Just giving you and idea of what’s out there when you really start talking about an elite team a pitcher throwing 40mph would not have seen the mound on any of the teams they have played for so find the very best team she can pitch for a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Merely used elite for lack of a better word I guess. Suppose I should have said more advanced. Also as I said pitching isn't her number one thing most important to her. She is not an advanced pitcher. That's why I lean more towards the 10U to allow her time to grow.

Oct 3, 2019
I never ceased to be amazed at the number of players who dominated at 10U who were out of the game by HS.
My granddaughter didn't even start playing until 2nd year of 12u. Can't help but feel sad for all that we missed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ra1449