Drop dead scoring with no revert to previous. Wtf?!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2019
So for our fall league they are doing drop dead games at 60 minutes, finish batter in box. The score does not revert to previous finished inning, next game of double header home and away switch so it “should” even out. After seeing the defensive team bring water out tontheir pitcher twice in the same inning killing the clock when we were down by 1 with runners on second and third this is just asinine. So once we are at the point where we are finishing the last batter we may as well have any baserunners run till they get tagged out right?
Not much to say, just venting how lame this is

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019
MN
I think more lame than the format is the lengths your opponent went to win a fall league game. Maybe it's different for your area, but I remember those as opportunities to get more reps for player development, more players in different positions, and less pressure to win.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Sorry but I have to agree with Northball. Anytime someone takes a game designed to play 7 innings and turns it into a timed format, there will be inherent flaws. There will also be those that will take advantage of them no matter how meaningless the game is.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Leagues are great for reps. We’d often move girls around and try different positions. DD loved it for circle time because it was just practice reps for tournaments. She could work on stuff at game speed with less pressure.

But, around here league has set at Rec to C level ball. It’s nice for the younger/less experienced teams get reps. But you do run into a few teams that take advantage of the drop dead time to get wins. Drove me nuts as it took away reps from everyone. Them and us.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
So for our fall league they are doing drop dead games at 60 minutes, finish batter in box. The score does not revert to previous finished inning, next game of double header home and away switch so it “should” even out. After seeing the defensive team bring water out tontheir pitcher twice in the same inning killing the clock when we were down by 1 with runners on second and third this is just asinine. So once we are at the point where we are finishing the last batter we may as well have any baserunners run till they get tagged out right?
Not much to say, just venting how lame this is
Hahaa lol noooo thanku...

But that did remind me of when speed dating became a thing...

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Clever opposing coaches are the worst.

We are going to get as many innings in as possible. Never actually discussed but the majority of coaches played against agreed with me.

Does anyone really care for more then 10 minutes if you won a fall ball game?

Apr 1, 2017
If you are playing double headers, but using a really short 60 minute time limit, why not just play 7 innings/2 hours? Guessing the 60 minute games are only getting 3, maybe 4 innings, anyway?

May 6, 2015
Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Yeah, anyone manipulating the clock to win a fall ball game is suspect in my opinion. That said, drop dead revert to the last inning is about the stupidest thing in the world. You're supposed to just pretend that part of the game you just played didn't happen?

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Yeah, anyone manipulating the clock to win a fall ball game is suspect in my opinion. That said, drop dead revert to the last inning is about the stupidest thing in the world. You're supposed to just pretend that part of the game you just played didn't happen?

Yeah...that can be manipulated just as easily by the team that fell behind late.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles