Drop dead time limit

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 4, 2013
I'm only incorrect if you believe there are good rules in place for umpires to enforce to make sure that one side doesn't manipulate the clock with stalling, or if you believe stalling makes for a good game. Perhaps I just don't know the rules. Umpires and coaches have taught me a lot of softball rules over the years. 😳 I'm not saying stalling isn't a legal strategy. I'm saying the rules that make it legal seem broken to me.

Here is an example of where I think the rules have a shortcoming. I don't think there is any rule against making a pitching change just before time runs out. When a team is leading because their stud pitcher has done well the entire game and then they decide to make pitching change to delay the game and run out the clock to avoid any scoring threat, I say it's stalling and the game is worse for it. But I don't know what basis an umpire would have to refuse to allow them to make their first pitching change of the game. Yet, we all know the change was about finding a way to hold the ball until the clock runs out.

It may not be against the rules, but it makes for a crummy game. Everyone knows what is going on. It isn't rocket science. I don't know what an umpire can do to control it.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
[*]Know how many time outs a team has (offense and defense!)
[*]Control the length of time outs the entire game and be consistent
[*]Control the time between innings the entire game and be consistent
[/LIST]

Anything after that is legal strategy for coaches.

Umpires who try to control/manipulate the clock annoy the hell out of me (to avoid starting a new inning, etc.). Control the game ... the clock belongs to everybody.
This post nailed it!
Coaches should know all these times as well!
Called controlling the tempo of the game.
Faster or Slower.
Can control the pace of the game either way!

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
There really is no rule on how much time there is between innings, is there? Like I said, in DD's game, it was almost 5 minutes from when the other team made the last out to when they were ready for first pitch.

Yes there is a rule about time between innings. At the start of each half inning the pitcher has 1 minute to throw not more than 5 warm up pitches. The clock starts immediately upon the 3rd out of the previous inning.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
If you are the home team...and are concerned with the other team getting one more at bat in the ending minutes....
From the beginning of the game
*Use your 20 seconds every pitch to control the consequence of time.

By about 40- 50 minutes into the game.... you should be able to see what the game looks like. AND be able to strategize remaining time in the game efficiently.

The opposite can be done to speed up the game.
Get pitch signals in immediatly.
Dont throw ball around.
Only do 3 warm up pitches not 5.
Husle Husle Husle on and off the field.
Try not to call timeout
( because really the clock doesnt stop)

*Start the game with a plan!
Both teams can strategize the clock!

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019
Yes there is a rule about time between innings. At the start of each half inning the pitcher has 1 minute to throw not more than 5 warm up pitches. The clock starts immediately upon the 3rd out of the previous inning.
So after the 3rd out, that team has to run out to the field and the pitch has to complete 5 warm ups in one minute? I do believe you, but I've never seen it go that fast.

Oct 16, 2019
I think it is generally used when you are taking more teams than the format can support as a way to get more money. That way it does stay on the super tight schedule they made.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
So after the 3rd out, that team has to run out to the field and the pitch has to complete 5 warm ups in one minute? I do believe you, but I've never seen it go that fast.
Can recall only few umpires who would say
" Lets go catcher throw it down."
Keeping pace of game going.

Jun 8, 2016
What cracks me up is when coaches/players take forever in between innings, to get pitches called, etc at the beginning of the game but then get all huffy puffy at the end of the game when they are trying to hurry up but the other team doesn't "cooperate"...

Mar 8, 2020
DD' team just finished her first ever drop dead time limit tournament. The games were hour 15 minutes, and I have to say I don't like it at all. Even though it won us a game- we (home team) were up 5-4 top 5 with less than two minutes. First player gets on base, and with 15 seconds remaining, 2nd player hits a 2 run homer to put them up, but since time was up, it reverted back to previous inning score so we won. Bad way to end a game, plus too much nonsense with killing clock (other team took five minutes to take the field!.) Tourney directors love it because every thing stays on schedule, but our team always played finish the inning. The tourney schedule gets screwed up more often than not, put its the way it should be.
DD is just for live practice Friendlies and some rare showcases. You can’t care about winning or loosing those games. Those games are for specific things. Like: See the team work on the short game on the first game... see Little Suzy play ss even though she only plays OF. To see your pitcher throw her new pitch that was taught by her over priced pitching coach she sees 3 times a week. Etc.. they are extremely important and the team show play to win but they do not matter. I see on FB parents saying we won all 3 games on a DD Friendlies and lost all their games at a low end tournament the following week. In short, they are good to work on team specifics. Warning: if you don’t play much or you don’t bat much in a DD friendly LEAVE THE TEAM!

Aug 25, 2019
Can recall only few umpires who would say
" Lets go catcher throw it down."
Keeping pace of game going.
As an umpire, I think I'm going to start doing that, not so much rush them out onto the field, but once a pitcher gets the ball, she has one minute to do what she wants until next batter is up. And if the catcher was last batter and getting suited up, I'll get a coach out to warm her up. Like TMIB said, be consistent.....Although I can also see an umpire, on his 4th or 5th game of the day, say "take all the time you want, I'm tired";)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06