Drop dead time limit

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I don’t believe it’s different coaching styles I think it’s more a fundamental problem with the fact that softball is not meant to be a timed game and the different problems that arise from it being timed.
This is a really good point!
Is the sport meant to be confined by the clock?!

Prefer no clock!

However softball is a sport that has been formatted to be played differently.
Slow pitch
Modified
Fastpitch
Different bats, balls, field sizes.
Mens/ Womans/ Co-ed

Add the CLOCK tic.tic.tic.tic....
Even different game times
1:20
1:30
1:40

Guess in my observation the clock is part of strategy in this drop dead delema.
imo its a silly thing for sure!
And yet part of the game when its part of the rules.

On another note about umpires. Perhaps because I had one over my shoulder for so many years offering a different viewpoint on balls and strikes than what I may have seen myself... I recognize that we are all imperfect human beings hopefully all trying to do our best. Doesnt mean either is right or wrong...its observation.
Also recognize that there are umpires who fluctuate greatly in the way they officiate the game. For that i recognize don't argue with an umpire. I appreciate your approach saying walk up and have an intelligent conversation.
But even at that I might laugh. Because talking to somebody who does not recognize the importance of officiating by the rulebook is the person who just becomes nothing on the field.
My response is control the game by playing to the best of my ability regardless of what the umpire says. As a batter I never let the umpire control my at bat. Do everything I can defensively to make sure the Umpire has the best view to hopefully make the best decision but I already know that isn't always going to happen. So I focus on the game and not the umpire. Focus on what I know I can control .
The bat and the ball!

I say this again and again.
It doesnt matter what the rules are.
The umpire is always right!
( even if the next game is officiated differently that umpire is right also) ;)

May 8, 2015
We’ve been using drop dead play for many years in our community ball league. Everyone hates it the first year, then love it pretty much after that, until you lose a game because of it. One it’s the norm, you don’t get too much griping. Helps when you’re playing in towns that don’t have lights, or when you need to keep a schedule. I personally like it. And when I say drop dead, play ends as soon as the timer goes off. No finish the batter, inning, nothing. Game is over.

May 8, 2015
as an umpire, you have to watch for stalling by coaches to make it work to their advantage.

Oct 4, 2018
Yes there is a rule about time between innings. At the start of each half inning the pitcher has 1 minute to throw not more than 5 warm up pitches. The clock starts immediately upon the 3rd out of the previous inning.

Anyone ever see that honored?

In our little po-dunk 10U tourneys it feels like there might be 5 minutes between half-innings at times.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Anyone ever see that honored?

In our little po-dunk 10U tourneys it feels like there might be 5 minutes between half-innings at times.
Can we get the definition of 'po-dunk' please 😁

Jun 22, 2008
So after the 3rd out, that team has to run out to the field and the pitch has to complete 5 warm ups in one minute? I do believe you, but I've never seen it go that fast.

The rule doesnt say the pitcher must complete 5 warm up pitches, it says the pitcher has 1 minute to complete not more than 5 warm up pitches. If they dont get their butts out on the field she may get none. If they really hustle the pitcher may get all 5, but generally speaking if the team isnt messing around, but also not really hustling 1 minute is usually about 2 warm ups and send it down on the 3rd. Count to yourself sometime and you will see it is pretty accurate if the team is getting themselves on the field.

I always enforce the 1 minute between innings unless I have substitutions or some other matter to deal with. They learn pretty quick to get moving.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles