This Time of Year Blows…

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2018
assuming this is HC, not DD (was not made perfectly clear, but assumption is from tone of message). this is WILDLY inappropriate, and very surprised this girls parents did not pull her the moment they heard about it. this should get a HC fired honestly, so they can reflect an maybe learn.
Oh no, not DD. She has speech issues too and would never. The sad thing is this girl is one of the weaker players and is on a new team every season. Her parents are praying she gets invited back and asked me not to say anything, their daughter accepted the apology and that was the end of it. So many of the parents on this team seem to have Stockholm Syndrome - they live in fear of this coach but can't/won't leave no matter what she does to their daughters. Sad, really sad.

May 6, 2015
Oh no, not DD. She has speech issues too and would never. The sad thing is this girl is one of the weaker players and is on a new team every season. Her parents are praying she gets invited back and asked me not to say anything, their daughter accepted the apology and that was the end of it. So many of the parents on this team seem to have Stockholm Syndrome - they live in fear of this coach but can't/won't leave no matter what she does to their daughters. Sad, really sad.

some people really need to learn a very simple mantra, one I have tried with mixed success to instill in my children "there but for the grace of god go I" so many people think that things that are simply good fortune are somehow a result of them being superior (lack of disabilities, learning or otherwise, etc.).

People really need to think and reflect on how would I feel if I were that child's parent.

sorry, but DS is on the spectrum, and while I sometimes wish things were not so hard for him, not a day goes by that I do not give thanks that he is where he is at (year away from graduating university, living in off campus appt with roommates, etc.), vs where we thought he might be at this point several years ago.

in other words, most people just suck.

Jul 23, 2019
Elko, Nevada
Second year 14U team, headed to 16U in the fall. Local/Regional A team. Have mostly played up to 16U/18U all season. Carried 12 girls. As tryout season began, fully expected to lose two girls. One who clearly was no longer having any fun…and it showed in her play. Another who was traveling 90+ minutes to practice and was not satisfied with her role on the team, though she was well liked by her teammates. That all happened as expected. An opportunity to potentially upgrade. So far, so good…

What few saw coming was the departure, announced a few days ago, of our best defensive player, who is also one of our strongest hitters. Moving to a national level team. Damn, what a bummer. That’s a tough one. But we’ll manage somehow. Then, at our last tournament of the season (just today), our best hitter (starting 1B and lefty power hitter) announced she was leaving the team. Not clear where she is going. Head Coach had no warning. Girl has played with the team for four seasons. Brutal. Felt bad for him, he was clearly shell shocked.

Lots of tears this afternoon as some of these girls who have been playing together for 2-4 years will no longer be playing together anymore. Head Coach has already added a few pieces, but will be tough to replace two girls who consistently hit between 3-5 in your batting order. Team definitely got worse today, just as we were getting ready to step up to a more fully regional schedule in the fall.

I know the only constant is change in travel ball. But not going to lie, this kinda sucks.
It really does suck, this year has been rough one it with. I've been running a team for the last 3 years, local travel team. All the girls within 45 minutes of practices. We have a small population so we can't exactly supply the players for several high end teams. Its like every year around this time we would start to get solid in playing and then people would drop off deciding they were done with travel or the team. This was particularly bad, we were putting together a solid team, had some obvious skill gaps that needed work but around here, we can't have try outs, we have to scout players because there just isn't enough. Sure enough, a few of the core players decide they're going to leave the team because the parents can do a better job coaching. (keep in mind these parents have tried and failed twice before to keep a team going longer than a season or two). With so few players you end up picking up who you can that's willing to play and before you know it, others leave because of who you pick up to play.
It really is hard when teams decide to split up, deciding to move up in to more competitive teams is hard but understandable. A little patience and tenacity can go a long way though when you're just not happy with your role on a team.

Jun 15, 2019
Yup. Really no hard feelings about it at all (other than the way the one girl and her family handled it with the HC). Folks are going to do what they think they need to to put their kid in the best position to achieve their goals. All good. Still doesn’t mean it doesn’t suck…
Clearly there are hard feelings, are you the coach? If so, you can be upset all you want but if these kids aren't happy, moving up, or just moving on you have to take all that into context. If they are moving up, cheer them on and in the other two cases cheer them on! MOVE ON. Sometimes people think the grass is greener when it really isn't. All of this is a learning experience, for kids and the parents too.
As a parent I've been on all sides of this. At a young age we moved on to a new team, gave the coach nearly a month notice and in turn he rewarded my daughter with less playing time and a non-chalant attitude.
We've also waited until the last tournament to let a coach know and guess what, none of that nonsense happened.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Clearly there are hard feelings, are you the coach? If so, you can be upset all you want but if these kids aren't happy, moving up, or just moving on you have to take all that into context. If they are moving up, cheer them on and in the other two cases cheer them on! MOVE ON. Sometimes people think the grass is greener when it really isn't. All of this is a learning experience, for kids and the parents too.
As a parent I've been on all sides of this. At a young age we moved on to a new team, gave the coach nearly a month notice and in turn he rewarded my daughter with less playing time and a non-chalant attitude.
We've also waited until the last tournament to let a coach know and guess what, none of that nonsense happened.
Nope, not a coach. DD pitches on the team. And, again, no hard feelings. Liked all the girls and their parents. Replacing some of the stronger players on your team with those of equal or greater ability is not easy regardless of the circumstances surrounding the departing players. I am sure everything will turn out fine and I wish the departing girls well. I am just saying that having to partly redesign a smoothly running machine on the fly just kinda blows. But, as they say, it is what it is.

I don’t know, perhaps I am naive. I think if you’ve played with a coach and an organization that has treated you well for 4 seasons, you might owe the coach more than a couple hours notice that you are leaving the team. Understand there are horror stories out there and perhaps reasons to play it close to the vest, this didn’t seem like one of those situations. But whatever.

Aug 8, 2016
A player who had been with us for a while, told us during our last tournament that she was leaving. I actually wish she would have waited until after it was over, because I spent the rest of the tournament worrying if I was showing bias with regards to playing time since I knew she was leaving.
The departure notices that are tough are the ones that come after you think your team is set up for the beginning of the season.

May 6, 2015
A player who had been with us for a while, told us during our last tournament that she was leaving. I actually wish she would have waited until after it was over, because I spent the rest of the tournament worrying if I was showing bias with regards to playing time since I knew she was leaving.
The departure notices that are tough are the ones that come after you think your team is set up for the beginning of the season.
also tough on a player once they commit to a coach, after having been told by the HC his plan for the the depth chart scenario for here position if player accepts, including being told really limited PT opportunity at her secondary position (mostly chewed up by Ps when they are not pitching), player acknowledging and telling HC she is on board and understands, then two weeks later being told HC brought another player at her primary position, because he was worried she was not coming back (after telling him she was committing to him, not attending any other tryouts) based on rumours.

Guess communication is harder during tryout season than during the rest of the year for some reason, phones just stop working (snark)

Nov 18, 2015
Man, I really want to see the park where they hide all the statues and monuments built to these coaches for all their winning of pieces of plastic. Anyone know where it is?
11.462811111771252, 142.1672075980185

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee