Drop dead time rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
yes this was pool play. I understand the rule It’s just a terrible rule watching coaches stall fake injuries etc. just ruins the game
Timeball: variation of softball only you can play as much an inning and 2/3 and have it not count.

I'm curious how different your opinion would be if you were on the other side of the equation.

Jun 23, 2019
New Hampshire
I'm curious how different your opinion would be if you were on the other side of the equation.
I understand your thinking sour grapes
Not really I’m not saying it would of happened but literally one pitch could have ended the inning completing the inning. Anyways Yesterday is history moving on to today.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I understand your thinking sour grapes
Not really I’m not saying it would of happened but literally one pitch could have ended the inning completing the inning. Anyways Yesterday is history moving on to today.

My apologies. I didn't read your OP clearly. I thought the game ended with the home team still yet to come up to bat. Being 1 pitch away from completing the inning, I'd be pissed off, too. However, some umps are very rigid about "drop dead". A better way (IMO) that I have seen it done, is for the ump to announce that this will be the last batter, and complete that at-bat.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Most anywhere we have played, pool games are drop dead finish the batter and don’t count, or they are finish the inning if seeded. I have not ever played in one that was drop dead and revert back for seeding in the 10 years I’ve been around softball in TX, OK, LA, or FL.

My apologies. I didn't read your OP clearly. I thought the game ended with the home team still yet to come up to bat. Being 1 pitch away from completing the inning, I'd be pissed off, too. However, some umps are very rigid about "drop dead". A better way (IMO) that I have seen it done, is for the ump to announce that this will be the last batter, and complete that at-bat.

It should have been clarified in the pregame plate meeting. Not a tourney that I would want to play in if I had other options.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Some variation of the game everything they practice for work for out the window. Baseball/ softball cannot be timed like this or it’s just another variation of some other game.

So don't play tournaments with drop dead. Play ones with finsih the inning or finish the inning plus one. Take the other teams with you. Easy enough.

The only time we play drop dead is showcases where no one cares about the end result. In fact I cannot remember a single competitive tournament that I have been involved in that uses drop dead.

Mar 28, 2016
To easy to play fast and loose with the drop dead rules. If you are the home team and the visitors score a couple runs to take the lead, you may as well tell your pitcher to start walking them and tell your defense not to make any outs. It might be a batter or two before the other team catches on and strikes out purposely. You still have your bats to get through, so you might have delayed enough to reach the drop dead time and now revert back to the previous completed inning.
The "no new inning after" rules are much fairer and do not lead to as much BS tactics.

Sep 5, 2012
Drop dead time means that no new inning can start after that time is reached. Whatever inning the game is in must be completed. It does not mean that you stop a game in the middle of an inning. Any other interpretation is wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802