Drop dead time rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 23, 2019
New Hampshire
My DD just lost a game where her team scored more runs than the other team. They were the road team down 5-2 top 5 they score
4 now up 1 bottom 5, 1st 2 hitters both out,3rd batter on a 2-2 count
The man in BLue stops the game
Confers with both teams for almost 10 minutes ends the game
Counting only the last completed inning. So in reality the 90 minute time rule was less than that seeing how the last 30 minutes never counted. I understand the rule but
Drop dead time should be the end
Of the inning or your just playing
Some variation of the game everything they practice for work for out the window. Baseball/ softball cannot be timed like this or it’s just another variation of some other game.

Jun 12, 2015
I hate drop dead. If they're going to do it that way, using the score of the last completed inning is much more fair.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Feb 3, 2011
I hate drop dead. If they're going to do it that way, using the score of the last completed inning is much more fair.
That's what they did. I do not see a reasonable argument for not allowing a kid to finish her at-bat, unless there is lightning in the area. Even if the official decides that plate appearance does not count, let her finish out the 2-2 count.

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
We played a 7 game drop dead tournament 3 weeks ago. At time, the umpires would say "this is the last batter". If it was a third out on the home team the inning was complete. Otherwise it rolled back to last completed.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2015
That's what they did. I do not see a reasonable argument for not allowing a kid to finish her at-bat, unless there is lightning in the area. Even if the official decides that plate appearance does not count, let her finish out the 2-2 count.
So it's more fair to let your team have more at bats than the other team...drop dead sucks for everyone.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Drop dead is the worst variation of a timed game. However, the nature of the game is that both teams get an equal opportunity to score runs, so reverting to the last fully-completed inning is the only way to keep that part intact.

Mar 28, 2014
My DD just lost a game where her team scored more runs than the other team. They were the road team down 5-2 top 5 they score
4 now up 1 bottom 5, 1st 2 hitters both out,3rd batter on a 2-2 count
The man in BLue stops the game
Confers with both teams for almost 10 minutes ends the game
Counting only the last completed inning. So in reality the 90 minute time rule was less than that seeing how the last 30 minutes never counted. I understand the rule but
Drop dead time should be the end
Of the inning or your just playing
Some variation of the game everything they practice for work for out the window. Baseball/ softball cannot be timed like this or it’s just another variation of some other game.
was this a pool game? Never heard of a bracket game being Drop dead.

Jun 23, 2019
New Hampshire
yes this was pool play. I understand the rule It’s just a terrible rule watching coaches stall fake injuries etc. just ruins the game
Timeball: variation of softball only you can play as much an inning and 2/3 and have it not count.

Mar 28, 2014
yes this was pool play. I understand the rule It’s just a terrible rule watching coaches stall fake injuries etc. just ruins the game
Timeball: variation of softball only you can play as much an inning and 2/3 and have it not count.
what age and level of play is this? Coaches stalling in a pool game?

Feb 3, 2011
So it's more fair to let your team have more at bats than the other team...
I said nothing of the sort. I said finish the at-bat, even if the officials are going to wipe the entire inning. And if that happens, then the book says each team did have the same number of opportunities to score.

As a buyer, you have the ability to choose whether you approve or do not approve of the format. If a large majority of people disapprove, they won't play in those events. And if the events don't have teams - also known as customers - then they'll change the format or go out of business.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee