dp flex

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 2, 2008
but can you switch mid inning? As you would say.... tell your rt fielder and your 1st baseman to switch, could you send your dp off the bench to swith with any player between pitches?

Jun 22, 2008
but can you switch mid inning? As you would say.... tell your rt fielder and your 1st baseman to switch, could you send your dp off the bench to swith with any player between pitches?

The DP can play defense for anyone except the flex without it being a substitution, so yes, you could switch between pitches. But, while reporting it is not necessary, you may want to let the umpire know what you are doing if you do switch mid inning because now the other coach is probably going to be asking questions.

Aug 2, 2008
LOL...the other coach, I can see some of their heads spinning now. As to mid inning, do I need to call time out? and is this a charged time out?

question 2. Once labled flex and dp, they are flex and dp the entire game right? What I mean is, if the flex starts batting for the dp the the lineup goes from 10 to 9. Can the dp (who was removed from the lineup) substitute for another player, or is she still "married" to the flex?

Jun 22, 2008
Yes I would call time out, and no it would not be a charged time out as long as you dont talk to players. just call time, approach the umpire and tell him your DP is going to play defense for whoever it is you are replacing. Now if you start talking with players, then the umpire is probably going to charge you a conference.

DP and Flex are twins and are permanently connected once you have them in the lineup. The only position the DP can bat in is the original position in which they were listed on the lineup. Just like any other starter or sub, once they have been in the lineup, the only position they may occupy is that spot. If you bat your Flex, the DP has left the game and only position they can reenter is in their original spot.

Aug 2, 2008
How about:

DP gets a hit and is on first but is a slow runner. Can you put your flex on first to run for her? And can you do that multiple times a game?

Jun 22, 2008
How about:

DP gets a hit and is on first but is a slow runner. Can you put your flex on first to run for her? And can you do that multiple times a game?

Yes you can do this, but, it is a substitution for the DP. You can do this any number of times, but you have to remember players only have 1 reentry. As long as you have subs available to put in #5's spot you can keep doing it, otherwise the 2nd time you try and use the flex to run for #5 she is done for the game.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom