Does this look like she throws with IR?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
You don't take video of a an identifiable kid (minor child) who's not associated with anyone on here and say negative things about her. That this doesn't shock your conscience is alarming. Sure, people post their own kids and invite criticism all the time. These are not the same thing. Not even close.

I see your point clarity but keep in mind, this kid posted their video online for the world to see (sports recruit, youtube?) you can't do that these days without expecting feedback. I didn't really see anyone here picking the girl apart, on the contrary Sluggers praised her and her riseball and someone else said she was very very good. The question wasn't about her or her abilities, it was about how she was pitching and her pitching "style". That's a big distinction from the Facebook Fastpitch Zone group that rips people apart (unsolicited) when someone posts a video of their kid. I always feel bad for those people on there who are simply proud of their kid, then get all kinds of replies from "experts" on what she should be doing. So I understand the spirit of what you're saying here, I just think you've misdiagnosed the intent and discussion that's transpired.

Mar 28, 2014
You don't take video of a an identifiable kid (minor child) who's not associated with anyone on here and say negative things about her. That this doesn't shock your conscience is alarming. Sure, people post their own kids and invite criticism all the time. These are not the same thing. Not even close.
OK I get what you're saying. I guess I missed the negative comments? What comments in particular are you talking about?

Feb 25, 2020
I have still been looking at the OP photo and IMO there can be a few deceptive things here. From this angle we cant see if her arm is really bent or not. It could still be slightly flexed. Also we cant tell, both, how much her hip is flexed AND how much she is leaning towards 3rd. With the way her hand is I think it could be a drop or a change. Here are some stills of folkard(drop). After these frames we cant see his hand(or before either haha)

Screenshot_20201210-224015.pngScreenshot_20201210-224021.pngScreenshot_20201210-224102.png

Notice how much he is leaned towards 3rd. If you stood him up straight it would look much more palm up. There could be a similar thing going on in the OP photo. In the next frame she could begin to ER it for all we know.

You can watch around 35 seconds here in .25 and maybe get a better idea of what I am thinking.

Anyways cool photo and thread. Bottom line is there is not enough info for a definitive answer.
But enough to get the mouse running on its wheel haha.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201210-224015.png
    Screenshot_20201210-224015.png
    515.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20201210-224021.png
    Screenshot_20201210-224021.png
    329 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20201210-224102.png
    Screenshot_20201210-224102.png
    528.1 KB · Views: 14
Aug 21, 2008
@Hillhouse what are your thoughts about the lean towards 3rd base? I see some girls do it but most don't whereas it seems like a lot of the men do it.

Men can do this, and other things that aren't necessarily "mechanically sound" because of sheer strength and the rule difference (not calling crow hopping). But that doesn't mean they are pitching with sound mechanics. Folkard, for example, has a history of some bad shoulder problems. Moreover, most men who crow hop tend to jump slightly to the left (sometimes it's more drastic than "slightly").

I certainly wouldn't teach someone to lean left.

Oct 4, 2018
Who is she? And, who does these rankings?

(I was once told my DD#3 was the #1 ranked 14U pitcher in Chicagoland, and I thought, "Who has such a sorry social life that they go around rating 14U pitchers?")

Some dude name Sluggers, I'm guessing.

;)

Feb 25, 2020
Screenshot_20201211-215214.png

Hope this isnt beating a dead horse but, Pretty similar position! He most definitely IR's.(and no crow hop!)

I stumbled upon this gem just now. A compilation of male pitchers from pretty decent angles. He is the first one.(Jeremy Manley)

Edit: Manley is also the last pitcher and is palm up throwing a rise I would guess? Interested in what the first pitch is. Maybe that hillhouse guy was right haha. The mouse is still running!

Screenshot_20201211-231915.png

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
View attachment 20395

Hope this isnt beating a dead horse but, Pretty similar position! He most definitely IR's.(and no crow hop!)

I stumbled upon this gem just now. A compilation of male pitchers from pretty decent angles. He is the first one.(Jeremy Manley)

Edit: Manley is also the last pitcher and is palm up throwing a rise I would guess? Interested in what the first pitch is. Maybe that hillhouse guy was right haha. The mouse is still running!

View attachment 20396

Jeremy is a good buddy, originally from New Zealand but lives in USA now full time married to an American. He's the pitching coach at Ball State, I think.

Not that anyone asked but... He and I matched up head to head several times, including the 2005 ISC World tournament when his team beat mine in 12 innings, despite the fact I had an 11 2/3 inning no hitter. LOL. That loss hurt, as I'm sure you can imagine.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
the 2005 ISC World tournament when his team beat mine in 12 innings, despite the fact I had an 11 2/3 inning no hitter. LOL. That loss hurt, as I'm sure you can imagine.
What pitch did that last batter get a hold of? :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd