Does this look like she throws with IR?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
I agree it's hard to tell from one photo, but in that particular photo, she does appear to be locked out and pushing.
No argument that she's not yet palm up, but looking at the creases in the shirt at her rear shoulder leads me to believe her elbow is bent (creases due to some degree of scap retraction?).

And I know it's due to camera angle, but the still image gives her forearms Popeye would be proud of!

May 21, 2018
The pitch at 45 seconds. Curveball?

I clearly have no idea how to judge speed with the eyeball test. Some of these pitches don't look that fast to me. Not saying they aren't. I just can't judge them.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
In the attached picture, you can see the hand behind the ball at 12, indicating IR.

She has a stellar riseball. Her drop and change are decent. Her curve is not very good...her arm motion is all over the place. My guess is that the picture in the OP is of her trying to throw the curve.

Here is her recruiting video:

Attachments

• brown.JPG
    brown.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
In the attached picture, you can see the hand behind the ball at 12, indicating IR.

She has a stellar riseball. Her drop and change are decent. Her curve is not very good...her arm motion is all over the place. My guess is that the picture in the OP is of her trying to throw the curve.

Here is her recruiting video:

Wrong Ava Brown. AASA Ava is a 2022
Hotshots Ava Brown lives outside of Houston and is a 2023.

She has some pitching videos on her Sports Recruits page if you want to see more of her pitching.

Aug 21, 2008
The obvious unknown from the still picture is: what pitch is she throwing? Many pitchers do things differently when throwing a change up for example because the things necessary to throw the ball hard are the very things a pitcher does NOT want to do on a change up. So it's entirely possible that this pic was taken at the exact moment she was prepping her change up in mid motion.

I have not watched any video but, if Sluggers is right about her riseball then she's not throwing HE style. Nobody can get backspin, or even close to it, throwing HE style. It's not my rule, it's the Good Lord's rule. Don't blame me.

Apr 12, 2015
Then don't respond. Simple as that. Yet you did. With snark. From behind a keyboard.

Noted.

Making a list and checking it twice, also from behind a keyboard? Scary.

Perhaps I wasn't as nice in pointing out how pointless the photo was as, say, Bill was. But we all said the same thing.

And if you've been here for 6 years and don't realize no accurate conclusions can be drawn from a single still photo, or even worse, are still looking for the unicorn that is the elite pitcher that throws HE, there really isn't much else to say.

I'll go even further and say no 14U B class pitcher or above throws with HE and has anything remotely resembling success.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020
This is coming from the matsuda thread but my DD, when throwing well, gets to a similar postion as the op's subject. If you look closely at this crappy image you can 2 of 3 fingers of her grip. I would not doubt that the pitcher in the OP gets good whip.

View attachment 20333

Here is the full motion

The DD struggles with the palm up at 9 cue. We get a curveball/sidearm thing going with that.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2016
To me it looks locked out and pushing down.

(She's ranked No.6 in the country and throws 62 as a 2023)

Ava-Brown-Pitcher-Hotshots-Premier-Nelson-1024x576.png
Is 62 mph really that fast for a 2023?

Jan 28, 2017
Not sure if 63 is fast for a 2023 or not but seeing girls jump 5 mph in a few weeks is not happening if they are already pretty good. The numbers I’m hearing are ridiculous lately. Very good pitcher was throwing 58/59 and probably can get up around 62 on a good day. Comes back from a camp throwing 67. Nope!

One of the best tournaments in the south and a 13 year old with great spin, location, and was 62 or so. Best I’ve seen this year in 14U. I’m sure girls are out there but the numbers are ridiculous by most.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quickpitch