Does the riseball really rise???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2008
Board Member
Hoping you can address some of my previous questions----I am relatively open mind and will listen, digest, and then form my opinion. Again, you went to a lot of work to do the pixel mapping---since I am technically challenged I really would like to know more.
Rick

Rick, its a really busy time for me right now. Over the next few days I'll try and post some stuff regarding pixel mapping and how it can be used to map a "moving object" accurately.

Jul 14, 2008
First thing is to stablize the video. Here is a sample:

123ta42.gif

33a5jrl.gif

May 8, 2008
It depends on what kind of rise ball you are throwing. If you are throwing a "corkscrew" or "bullet" spin riseball, there are no seams cutting the air so the ball will go up, but not rise up.
If you are throwing a true rise ball, with backward spin, it will rise up. However, you must generate enough speed to beat gravity and you must have enough snap or spin on the ball for the seams to cut the air quick enough for it to actually rise.
A rise ball is the same as a curve ball except with the spin on a different axis. So if you think a curve ball really curves, then a rise ball really rises.
Not many pitchers are capable of throwing a true rise ball, so it rarely seen.
Heather
College Sports Recruiting

May 7, 2008

You don't see any difference between a ball breaking WITH gravity and one breaking AGAINST gravity????

Keith

May 12, 2008
I just hope you're the guy who finally comes up with video proving a riseball rises above it's initial trajectory through the hitting zone.

Sep 16, 2009
Yes the riseball really rises. I have seen numerous mens pitchers who have thrown low rise balls that start flat below the knees and break up to above the knees. With correct back wards rotation what else could it do??

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying