Does the riseball really rise???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 1, 2023
My DD is starting to learn a backspin rise, but I don’t get what impact the backspin (coming from a human) would have on the pitch. It seems only a few high-end college pitchers throw their rise this way, with most being bullet spin.

Nov 18, 2015
My DD is starting to learn a backspin rise, but I don’t get what impact the backspin (coming from a human) would have on the pitch. It seems only a few high-end college pitchers throw their rise this way, with most being bullet spin.
Just to be a part of a thread older than my daughter as well - the backspin (as I understand it), is what gives it that "jump" in optics when your brain realizes it's not sinking like it's supposed to. I imagine this also helps immensely when trying to throw a low rise, as I can't see how a bulletspin rise (aka "rampball") would generate many swings and misses, unless the batter misreads it as a drop?

May 27, 2013

Having backspin on the rise is what can make it extremely effective, and is truly what makes the riseball do what it’s supposed to. Riseballs that are thrown with backspin also appear to float in, so to a batter it looks like a juicy pitch until it’s not. Although some say the rise is their DD’s fastest pitch, it is my DD’s slowest (next to change up), and is extremely effective when she can get some backspin on it. If you are throwing a bullet spin rise (not a true rise), you really need very good velocity to fool the batter, IMO.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
I'm in the camp of "you release it lower, you point it upwards more, you spin the heck out of it to make it not drop quite as fast" and if that fools the batter's hand-eye coordination by and inch or two you'll get some pop outs and strikeouts.

It's my DD's most effective pitch at the 14U level.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Does the heart really sink? I mean, people say that all the time when something sad or depressing happens, right? When a good pitcher throws an effective riseball and the batters mind, optics and mechanics react to where they thought the ball was going to be at the hoped for moment of contact and then...swooosh, swing and a miss. Did the heart drop more than the ball rose?

Nov 18, 2015
Does the heart really sink? I mean, people say that all the time when something sad or depressing happens, right? When a good pitcher throws an effective riseball and the batters mind, optics and mechanics react to where they thought the ball was going to be at the hoped for moment of contact and then...swooosh, swing and a miss. Did the heart drop more than the ball rose?
I think that depends on if your daughter is the pitcher or the batter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad