Does Bustos bat need to be broken in? Is machine ok?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
My daughter is excited about getting a new bat and has saved up $40 towards the purchase of a Demarini Bustos, model WTDXBFP, with the alloy barrel and the composite handle. Does this bat need to be broken in before it will really start to get quality performance? And is it ok to use with a pitching machine/dimpled balls? We're getting lots of rain, so we will be indoors a lot this month. I thought of telling her it should only be used for games and her lessons, but I don't want to be overly protective of the equipment if it's not necessary and if it does need to be broken in, then I want her swinging it whenever she can to get there.

Any advice?

2012_BB_0093.jpg

Jul 26, 2010
It doesn't need to be broken in, but I wouldn't use it on a machine. . . however, that really depends on her age.

Most bats I see break on machines snap in half, usually when they hit the ball with the handle. Given the construction of the Bustos, it's probably prone to the same issues.

Mods, please move this post to the equipment section.

-W

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I got one of those too- tho mine is apparently an older model.
Something I may be doing at the cages this year is sit behind a screen and throw front toss with real balls.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I have bought several bats at play it again sports for hitting in the cages. All for around $10.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD used the older black one for two seasons and hit often in the cage with it. I sold it when she grew and another girl got a year out of it and sold it this spring. They have good pop out of the wrapper and don't need to be broken in. If it's the -13 you may find she doesn't hit to far with it. DD hit hers well, just not very far. Now the RT 32/23 goes to the fence most hits when unimpeded. :cool:

Mar 13, 2012
I would avoid the machine balls. We had a couple of the 2010/11 (black) models flat spot badly. Make sure to have your DD rotate her grip to avoid flat spots.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The best practice for batting as Obbay indicated, is to just sit behind a screen and toss her balls. Even if you have to do it overhand, it is OK.

Some newer cage balls are OK, but many get so dirty and heavy that they are like rocks.

That is a very nice looking bat.

Feb 21, 2011
Our bats do not require a break-in period. They should be good to go straight out of the wrapper. We also do not recommend using our bats in a batting cage or against a pitching machine. This can speed up the life of the bat and they are also not designed to hit the dimple balls. If you have any questions, you can always give us a call at 800-937-2287.

Oct 10, 2011
Is it true that Dimarinis weigh a little less than the drop indicates? We are considering the CF5 33/22 or 33/23.

Feb 3, 2011
Thanks for the quick feedback, everyone, and I do appreciate the company representative speaking up for their product. I think it's always great to get info from both the manufacturer and consumers who've used a product. Can't beat that.

As a dad and coach, I can't wait to see how it performs. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole