Do you still use/recommend the whip hit?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Dana, IFUBUILDIT got tired of some posters on here, so he has left this site, along with many other good hitting instructors. Any tool can be used wrong if not taught correctly. If I use a saw to cut steel it might not last long, but some common sense , along with someone that teaches how the tool is used can go a long way! Tim's dd is a very successful player at Louisville KY and he has his own hitting instruction business. Dana, above has his own business in Texas producting many D1 college players, so should we ignore them or ask ourself, perhaps they have produced results and how they did it?

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Take note of the recommendation for swing initiation ....

2uzw7ds.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Dana, IFUBUILDIT got tired of some posters on here, so he has left this site, along with many other good hitting instructors. Any tool can be used wrong if not taught correctly. If I use a saw to cut steel it might not last long, but some common sense , along with someone that teaches how the tool is used can go a long way!

I have had PMs with Dana and found that he didn't have an issue engaging in a technical discussion. That said, some of what he posted was clearly wrong .... such as what we see here from him.

Not sure why the need for a diversion. Let's get back to the topic. You mention that "any tool can be used wrong if not taught correctly". Now take note of these instructions provided in the Whiphit manual.

To begin the swing allow the lead arm elbow to move on a linear path with the elbow making a direct move forward about 3 to 4 inches. Your hand should follow the elbow forward

As your elbow moves forward it will draw your hands through and the WhipHit ball on the end of the rope will “whip” towards the tee.

Use both hands and maintain the forward elbow move to whip the ball through the swing.

start your swing by pulling your lead arm elbow forward so it pulls the ball out of your back hand and hits the ball off the tee.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
The master of diversion? Who as Richard posted on hitting illustrated diverts all comments to the Hanson Principal and has never posted a student yet ?

PS; I'm personnel friends with Dana, so don't give me the hogwash!

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The master of diversion? Who as Richard posted on hitting illustrated diverts all comments to the Hanson Principal and has never posted a student yet ?

What diversion.

I've repeatedly asked for specifics of what you instruct along with the Whiphit gadget swings. All I read are "rah rah rah" type posts for the product, and very little content on the POEs to be used with the product. You acknowledge that any gadget can produce a faulty swing ... and this gadget comes with instructions that help promote a faulty swing.

Please ... enough of the diversions. Let's focus on the product. We've got the "rah rah rah" point. Now supply the details of how you use it and the POEs that you feel it helps.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

PS; I'm personnel friends with Dana, so don't give me the hogwash!

I see you edited your post.

No hogwash. I had PM exchanges with Dana. Didn't see him whining about my pointing out that some of his posted teachings were not good. He was able to keep the discussions technical and cordial.

Rather than speak of specifics on the whiphit gadget, you bring up IFUBUIDIT. That’s a diversion … and a poor one at that.

You bring up Tim’s DD, yet in her demonstration of the whiphit gadget the swing contained considerable bat drag.

You bring up Richard asking to see a student, and yet what have you posted of your students?

You are making multiple diversions. Almost seems you don’t wish to discuss the topic. Why?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
There you go folks. Rah rah rah. It’s a great product. Just swing it and it will transform your swing.

2q2g6yx.gif

Ummm, errrr, weeeellllll, …. Hmmmmm ….. you seeeeee …. Any product can be used improperly. Yah, that’s it. We would discuss using it properly, except that our leader provided instructions for its use already, and rather than help people out and make corrections, we simply prefer to just say rah rah rah.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
FFS I'm not allowed to post who you are by Ken, so why don't you drop the BS with me. I could care less what you think or want. Dana and had a good laugh about you at Lunch. I posted #41 on this topic above and you took it personnel after that ! The post you did on straightleg's dd's was disgusting to attack any kid hitting a HR!

Sep 29, 2013
South Central Pa
We dont see our hitting coach till later this week. She doesnt use a whiphit but uses a "rope bat" and only occasionally.

What would be pro's or benefits of using this device?

What bad habits could a player develop?

I made my own this weekend but havent used it. Throw it out or use it with what direction?

PS - I still plan to talk with our HC to get her feedback.

Oct 14, 2008
So let me understand something you do not believe that the rear hand can be taught to turn instead of push when using the whip hit?. If that is your belief then you are mistaken. I also see the push in some of these swings, and I will agree that the instructions need to be up dated.

The whip hit in its self does not cause or promote bat drag, it is no different from any other tool, you can use the insider bat which I believe you endorse, and get the same flaws in a swing.

Blaming a bad swing on the whip hit is like blaming bad hand writing on your pencil. It is a tool, nothing else, If the instruction is sound with it, then I believe it is a great tool that supplies immediate feed back. And allows you to instantly see and feel where your hands should be at contact .

My daughters swing that keeps getting referd to was a bad swing, rear elbow got in front of the hands. No argument it sucked. That vid was made for someone to show the lower half in the swing I teach. You know this and know where the thread is to prove it.

To the OP i will say yes this tool is a great tool if used and taught properly. Like anything else in this world do not go off of what you read online but try it for your self, My dd and alot of others I have taught with it have had great success. You be the judge not some online forum.

Tim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00