Do you still use/recommend the whip hit?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JBrooks

Softball comes first
Dec 20, 2013
Willis,Texas
Can anyone explain how to use it correctly I have one but I'm afraid to let my daughter use it because I don't want her to develop any more bad habits. She has a problem casting.

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
We dont see our hitting coach till later this week. She doesnt use a whiphit but uses a "rope bat" and only occasionally.

What would be pro's or benefits of using this device?

What bad habits could a player develop?

I made my own this weekend but havent used it. Throw it out or use it with what direction?

PS - I still plan to talk with our HC to get her feedback.

I guess hand path would be the teaching point for this device.

The issue I have with it is that I couldn't turn the barrel with it as the ball hangs down below (by the hands). You almost have to push the ball around the corner.

I couldn't justify fixing one issue by making another. I would suggest the training bat with that has the regular sweet spot but the rest of the bat is skinny.

Just my opinion.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Can anyone explain how to use it correctly I have one but I'm afraid to let my daughter use it because I don't want her to develop any more bad habits. She has a problem casting.

If you have a center line on the net, and your tee is in the center. The release.... this product will show you by how the ball flies. The ball should fly straight. Most that cast out the ball flies left (kill the third base coach or girls in the dugout), for a rightie hitter.
You cant cast out, you need to release underneath for this to work.

Once you release better. You can add in getting the hips to lead the upper body. Most girls swing upper body dominant.

A good instructor worth his salt can help your daughter improve using this hitting aid.

Straightleg

FFS...quit attacking my daughter, shows your poor moral behavior and ignorance.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2011
Central Iowa
I do think they're helpful when establishing a hand path; girls that have casting issues will find them impossible to use. I also found it helpful when working on getting separation. We would have the girls do walk-thru drills, to allow them to get the feel of separation. Then they would move to the adjacent cage to do tee-work with the whip-hit, as it requires an initial negative movement to be utilized correctly.

IMO it is possible to create some issues if over-utilized; it can sometimes encourage bat drag, with the rear elbow wanting to get well ahead of the hands. Like FFS said, I think the key to using these(like any other hitting device) is having both the instructor and the student on the same page with the POE. I certainly wouldn't lock a girl in a room with one, and expect her to come out the next day a better hitter; but I haven't seen anybody here advocating that. All things being equal, you show me a girl that's mastered hitting with a whip-hit, and I'll show you a pretty competent hitter at the plate:)

JBrooks- Sounds as if your DD might benefit from SL's "perfect Connextion" device; helps them get the feel of the hitter's box you're looking for. There are several threads on here for DIY instructions with those

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
FFS I'm not allowed to post who you are by Ken, so why don't you drop the BS with me. I could care less what you think or want. Dana and had a good laugh about you at Lunch. I posted #41 on this topic above and you took it personnel after that ! The post you did on straightleg's dd's was disgusting to attack any kid hitting a HR!

No idea why you feel the urge to post personal information. Myself I'm much more interested in sticking to technical details. Let me know when you are ready to speak specifics on how you use the whipit gadget. After all, the best training aide is knowledge.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
So let me understand something you do not believe that the rear hand can be taught to turn instead of push when using the whip hit?. If that is your belief then you are mistaken. I also see the push in some of these swings, and I will agree that the instructions need to be up dated.

The whip hit in its self does not cause or promote bat drag, it is no different from any other tool, you can use the insider bat which I believe you endorse, and get the same flaws in a swing.

Blaming a bad swing on the whip hit is like blaming bad hand writing on your pencil. It is a tool, nothing else, If the instruction is sound with it, then I believe it is a great tool that supplies immediate feed back. And allows you to instantly see and feel where your hands should be at contact .

My daughters swing that keeps getting referd to was a bad swing, rear elbow got in front of the hands. No argument it sucked. That vid was made for someone to show the lower half in the swing I teach. You know this and know where the thread is to prove it.

To the OP i will say yes this tool is a great tool if used and taught properly. Like anything else in this world do not go off of what you read online but try it for your self, My dd and alot of others I have taught with it have had great success. You be the judge not some online forum.

Tim

We seem to agree that the instructions provided with the whipit gadget are damaging and are in need of a redo.

In all seriousness, knowledge remains the top training aide.

Feel free to take a crack at providing a new set of instructions for this device that you support.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
If folks wish to believe that the ball flight will be the judge of using the whipit gadget correctly, then please think again ... and please use the Hanson Principle. This whipit swing here had the ball flying straight to the center of the net … but the swing is anything but good.

2r3cljd.gif

5yxiy8.gif

Aug 1, 2008
ohio

This is where all the magic happens.......:) use of the whip hit, Center line rope.
Black area for checking ball flight

3 run shot against d-1 norwood.jpg
3 run shot over the left field fence, against a D-1 powerhouse

Straightleg

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi