Do you stay for DD's TB practice?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2013
Sayville
I should just clarify that when we are watching DD at practice it is with enjoyment rather than anything judgmental. How DD is taking it is out of our control but we just want to do the right thing for her. That may not be in line with what is right for other parents' DDs.
Bye bye!!!! lol...just to clarify I coach the OP's daughter!!

Last edited:

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
DD asked if we could just drop her off for practice instead of staying and watching. I suppose it's not a bad idea to let her be on her own without mom and dad watching to see how she's doing. How many of you drop off DD or stay to watch? What are your feelings on either side?

OH He// NO, I love softball, I'm staying to watch and if my DD doesn't like it then She can drop me off at practice and She can leave ;)

Seriously, If She wants you gone you better check yourself and make sure you're acting right...:eek::p

Jul 2, 2013
Coaching is a team sport. I realize you coaches are being tongue and cheek. However, the player and family, along with the coach will develop the player as best they can together. Soon for the player to leave to another group, for many, many players have easily a dozen or so different coaches in their playing life.

So to think as a coach, especially when young, is the no all and be all, is a big mistake. You are just one of many. Tho I have never been a parent to helecopter my player. I do watch what is being instructed to my DD. If discussions need to be had, in the most calm and politically correct way with a coach, it will occur.

Any coach who does not allow even the best of conversations among concerned parents, have not been our coach for long.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
We stay for TB practice but like some I have to....I assist the assistant coach. Usually work them in the batting cage, pop fly drills, cut off's and of course help my daughter with her pitching.

I say almost all the parents stay, lot more moms than dads. Usually they over there socializing and not bothering any one. Our first year with this team and most seem to be laid back and let the coaches do their job.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
At 12u I started to leave. I saw it as a time for growth and responsibility. We teach our kids how to act but never give them an opportunity to do the right thing if we supervise every minute. Slowly giving them more opportunities to be in charge of the minute to minute stuff prepares them to make the right choices. Leaving her at practice where I know the coach was a controles start on independence.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I usually stay for TB practice due to the distance traveled. By the time I got home I'd turn around and go back. I do run errands, go for a walk or socialize with the other parents. I do not watch HS practices except for the last few minutes when they run long. This includes BB.

Jan 25, 2011
I stay because my dd's coaches will just screw her up. I call it damage control;), No just messing. They dont work with her on hitting because they have another way of hitting. We drive for an hour so, no sense in leaving.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
Seriously, If She wants you gone you better check yourself and make sure you're acting right...:eek::p

I know that comment was tongue in cheek but you are correct. Self evaluation is important when determining what's best for DD and I've screwed up more times than I care to admit but I would bet many parents have also. I've coached her through LL and have spent hundreds of hours in the backyard wearing out the grass practicing with her. I think it's more of a "I don't need mom and dad to hold my hands anymore" kind of thing. We are fortunate enough to have switched to a team that has their act together and she's been taking lessons from a very good instructor who is really having a positive influence in her attitude and playing. These are good times right now.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom