Do you stay for DD's TB practice?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
DD asked if we could just drop her off for practice instead of staying and watching. I suppose it's not a bad idea to let her be on her own without mom and dad watching to see how she's doing. How many of you drop off DD or stay to watch? What are your feelings on either side?

Oct 22, 2009
PA
What age group? Most of my team parents drop their kids off and leave (unless they live a fair distance away). They have been doing this since 12U.

Jun 24, 2013
For her League ball I typically stick around to see if they need help with anything, just as happy to sit in the car and read a book too.

MS ball we just drop her off and come back to pick her up.

Just depends on the Team and circumstances I guess. If your DD wants you to leave I would respect her feelings. I enjoy her recaps as much as being there so I still get my SB fix. :)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I tried not to, until they could drive. Even then, I might check on her occasionally. We were new to town, DDs freshman year and I didn't know anyone - so, I was cautious. But it was the same with band or whatever the activity. I am shocked at the number of parents that just drop their 10 yo DD off, at my lessons.

Jun 19, 2013
We live a fair distance so I stay, but I would whenever I could any way. My DD is new to softball comparatively (starting at 10 1/2) and she is playing catch up with most of the girls playing 2nd year 12U A ball. I feel like it is up to me to see how she is doing, where she is struggling, where she needs extra help at home or with outside coaching. Also being a pitcher if she is throwing at some point that night I like to see how that is going and hear what type of "help" other people may be giving her with her pitching (ie. tell her on the way home to ignore or consider their input). Plus I just really enjoy seeing the girls working together and improving as a team.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
As a coach, I'd like the parents to occasionally watch us practice so they know that I AM teaching their DDs. Sometimes in games parents will wonder why this or that hasn't been taught. Well, often it has been taught.

However, I would hate to have a parent who want's to question things I do on an ongoing basis sticking around. Further, I've experienced a dad stepping in and instructing my first-baseman differently than I had without asking me first. I don't like that. We can discuss things, but I am the coach. It isn't a democracy in softball.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
As a coach, I'd like the parents to occasionally watch us practice so they know that I AM teaching their DDs. Sometimes in games parents will wonder why this or that hasn't been taught. Well, often it has been taught.

However, I would hate to have a parent who want's to question things I do on an ongoing basis sticking around. Further, I've experienced a dad stepping in and instructing my first-baseman differently than I had without asking me first. I don't like that. We can discuss things, but I am the coach. It isn't a democracy in softball.

I tell my parents and players that it is a benevolent dictatorship.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan