do you really know who your child is playing for?????

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
This is more common than you think and parents really don't want to cause issues. It's easier to just switch teams and forget about it. There was one in my area in an organization my DD was considering guesting for a few times this season but not after I heard this. I called the organization, local PD and coaching friends to warn them. This guy coaches 10U.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
When my DD started playing sports I looked into this a little bit and could not find any information about what different sanctions allow. ASA performs a pass or fail background check but I cannot find any information what would cause a fail.

No sanctioning body knows what is going on in practice, at a game they might check. If that is the person it doesn't sound like the law cares anymore. So your only advice is what you stated:

Know who your DD is playing for

At least ASA requires something. In my area, USSSA doesn't require anything to register a team or enter a tournament. The local USSSA organizations do require a manager background check for rec and comp leagues. However, I could pass the background check as the manager, and then have Jeffery Dahmer and Charles Manson as assistants, and no one would know unless they looked into it on their own. My kid tried out for a team a few months ago, and I quickly found out from a public record Internet search that one of the coaches had been arrested twice in a six month period (that year) on larceny and drug distribution charges.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
When you have this type of background, why would you even subject yourself to this type of scrutiny? Why be involved with little girls? Maybe I don't want to know the answer to this and I am certain that I don't want this fellow to have any pictures of my granddaughter.

Oct 22, 2009
This is more common than you think and parents really don't want to cause issues. It's easier to just switch teams and forget about it. There was one in my area in an organization my DD was considering guesting for a few times this season but not after I heard this. I called the organization, local PD and coaching friends to warn them. This guy coaches 10U.

I am going to second this.
I've been around softball for 25 years and as I hope I've heard it all, I'm most sure I haven't.
A friend of mine paid for her DD to be on an elite level tournament team.
The head coaches son molested at least (5) members of the team. He threatened them with telling their parents they did bad things and having them benched. They all knew their parents paid a lot of money for them to play so they wouldn't tell.
It all ended when my friends DD ended up in the ER after a suicide attempt.
He was convicted but had no previous incident before that for the parents to look up.

Two of my DD's high school coaches had inappropriate relationships with players.

Another friend's head coach of their travel team was arrested at an out of town tournament on an outstanding warrant. I never knew what the warrant was for but he went to prison.

Last year a league coach was arrested for inappropriate actions with a player at the local league I teach pitching at. They were looking for more victims.

Those are just the incidents I am aware of, I'm sure they were more that were kept hushed that I never heard about.

Protect them as much as you can when they are young, as they get older, make sure they know about predators, make sure they know the things they'll say, and they should ALWAYS tell, even when they don't think it was that bad or it will get them in trouble. Tell them it will never get them in trouble.

Girls want to trust and please people so badly, especially those in authority. And sometimes these people have no prior offenses so you cannot go by that alone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00