Diving and awarding an error..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Should a player be given an error if she dives for a ball (when necessary) and ball is not caught

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 49 100.0%

• Total voters
Jun 8, 2016
Hit or error though?
I would give an error but I am probably biased from watching so many MLB games and that would be an error 99/100 times. Not sure what the result would be if they went by the letter of the rule.

Oct 26, 2019
I would give an error but I am probably biased from watching so many MLB games and that would be an error 99/100 times. Not sure what the result would be if they went by the letter of the rule.
Right. I would give it an error to for the same reason, but I would also say he misjudged it. Now our game changer mom - that is a hit all day, but in her defense she counts everything put in play a hit.

Jun 8, 2016
Right. I would give it an error to for the same reason, but I would also say he misjudged it. Now our game changer mom - that is a hit all day, but in her defense she counts everything put in play a hit.
I think we may have the same GC person..

Mar 10, 2020
I also don't rule as errors balls that drop between two fielders, but seems there's a trend toward making those errors now. I guess the argument is that they were in position to catch it but failed.
I'd still rule that a hit,
but understand how that's being challenged more these days.
Will you be changing your opinion based on that argument?

Mar 4, 2015
New England
Will you be changing your opinion based on that argument?

Good question. Not sure. I'm not currently anyone's scorekeeper, so no immediate action required. :)

I think it's important that scorekeepers are consistent among themselves. So I would want to follow the consensus opinion (among professional scorekeepers), and that's whether I liked it or not. Too many people keeping score like to think of themselves as a generous or strict scorekeeper. Some even take pride in that. Goal should be to follow the book and to be neither strict nor liberal when compared to good scorekeepers.

Here's a debate about this kind of play from years ago. It makes me want to research it further and get more opinions. As I said earlier, I wish there was more you could do to learn about how to keep score beyond reading the rules.

Jul 27, 2015
From past experience, it just matters who is doing the books and whether the coach's kids are involved. I swear that is how 90% of the scoring was done on our one team. The stats were "based on a true story" but in no way were true.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi