Diving drill in practice - broken thumb

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
I start them from their knees with a softee type ball and slowly advance from there over several practices.

Them not knowing all the basic plays is an issue ... But, as a coach your job is to keep them interested and challenge them with new drills ... If it can happen in a game you should have or make a drill for it.

Jun 20, 2015
we do drills every winter for diving and throwing from knees. but it's 1 person at a time, rolled ball, start from the knees, on pretty soft turf infield. and they can opt out if they wish due to knee pain, back hurting etc. i want well rounded players on my 18u teams. all players do all fielding work. OF take grounders, IF takes drop step practice, etc.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
If he didn’t teach it correctly then that’s another issue. I would say though, that this is why I recommend teaching diving and sliding as early as possible to kids. It’s easy to get a 7 or 8 year old to dive and slide. If this team is 14U and he is still having to teach proper sliding and diving then that is a tough age to teach it at.

Once a kid proves to me that they can do it correctly I don’t do it much as a drill in practice after that. I do expect them to dive for balls as they happen though. If they don’t dive for a ball in the game then they come out of the game for a bit. Next time they usually dive.
Another skill to teach early (tougher at 14 or 15) is the catch and tumble ESPN drill. The fielder basically fakes a great catch by tumbling after the catch trying to get on ESPN. Da-da-dunt, da-da-dunt.

Oct 26, 2019
Another skill to teach early (tougher at 14 or 15) is the catch and tumble ESPN drill. The fielder basically fakes a great catch by tumbling after the catch trying to get on ESPN. Da-da-dunt, da-da-dunt.
Yes! We call those web gems for the same reasoning

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
We do some diving as well...I'm less worried about hands than collar bone/shoulder areas. Boys and girls tend to put their elbows down first instead of extending out. 😬

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478