Diving drill in practice - broken thumb

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2022
Our 14u coach has had the team practicing diving by having a player at 1st and 2nd and hitting hard grounders between them.

DD broke her thumb the other day, a week after I told her she probably should not be participating in this drill.

Personally, I don't get the point of regularly practicing something that is a dangerous (sliding, diving, medicine ball throws, etc.), when the team still doesn't have the routine plays down.

Is this a common drill in your opinion?

Should I prevent my DD from participating in these dangerous drills? She already knows how to do them, apparently with reckless abandon.

Sent from my CPH2419 using Tapatalk

Oct 26, 2019
Our 14u coach has had the team practicing diving by having a player at 1st and 2nd and hitting hard grounders between them.

DD broke her thumb the other day, a week after I told her she probably should not be participating in this drill.

Personally, I don't get the point of regularly practicing something that is a dangerous (sliding, diving, medicine ball throws, etc.), when the team still doesn't have the routine plays down.

Should I prevent my DD from participating in these dangerous drills? She already knows how to do them, apparently with reckless abandon.

If done correctly, there is nothing especially dangerous about diving. How was it she broke her thumb exactly?

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Has the coach taught how to dive for the ball? These may be useful and looks like the kids love it.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022
If done correctly, there is nothing especially dangerous about diving. How was it she broke her thumb exactly?
Maybe he didn't train them how to dive correctly. He just hit hard ground balls between two players and told them to dive to stop it. Accident waiting to happen IMHO.

Jan 24, 2023

Cant prevent inherent dangers in sports.
True can limit reps, but then there won't be practicing.

Mar 23, 2022
I get that you are upset that your kid hurt herself but I think you are barking up the wrong tree..
Maybe. But I'm not the one who will be missing my starting pitcher and short stop for a big tournament this weekend because of practicing a skill that they might need to perform once every 30 games. I coach rec ball and live by the motto of "safety first". For example, I use sliding pads for our sliding drills. Accidents happen, but the point is to minimize them. In the videos the girls are mostly performing the drill by diving from their knees. Seems safer to me.

Oct 26, 2019
If he didn’t teach it correctly then that’s another issue. I would say though, that this is why I recommend teaching diving and sliding as early as possible to kids. It’s easy to get a 7 or 8 year old to dive and slide. If this team is 14U and he is still having to teach proper sliding and diving then that is a tough age to teach it at.

Once a kid proves to me that they can do it correctly I don’t do it much as a drill in practice after that. I do expect them to dive for balls as they happen though. If they don’t dive for a ball in the game then they come out of the game for a bit. Next time they usually dive.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Starting on your knees diving drills are the best. Learn how to get throwing arm to be the absorber and collapse safely. Looking for video.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478