Dilemma

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 14, 2012
Jenny Finch would not be "Jenny Finch" if she did not commit to softball. There are few athletes who become elite in one sport playing several. I know there are exceptions but not many and exceptions can be made. But, I find it hard to believe that 1/2 the team are gifted athletes.

Sorry, but I just don't agree with that statement. For example, if you go back and look at how many pro athletes were multi sport athletes in high school, it's mind boggling. John Elway, Dan Marino, etc., etc. The list goes on and on and includes most of the NFL and MLB Hall of Famers. Kids specializing in one sport is a fairly recent thing. I realize that it gets frustrating when kids miss softball practice for other sports, but you have to realize that those "other sports" are excellent cross training for a softball player. The results can be quicker reflexes, faster running speed, better hand eye coordination, more explosiveness, etc.
This is why D1 coaches love multi sport athletes.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Jenny Finch would not be "Jenny Finch" if she did not commit to softball. There are few athletes who become elite in one sport playing several. I know there are exceptions but not many and exceptions can be made. But, I find it hard to believe that 1/2 the team are gifted athletes.

the person I replied to said if a girl wants to play other sports she should not commit to a travel softball team. I was just pointing out the silliness of that statement by pointing out that very committed and skilled athletes have played more then one sport.

(I am about to channel my inner Screwball) Why is it that when a boy plays more then one sport its fine, but a girl has to abandon everything else in order to be committed. The school my dd goes to has less then 300 girls, yet our sports teams generally play in the larger divisions of our conference. Our softball team plays in a division where most of the schools have graduating classes larger then our school. Its not because we have a girls who specialize in one sport, its because we have a bunch of 3 sport athletes who play everything.

Edit to ad, I just caught the last point in your post. Are you kidding me? Few elite in one sport played multiple? Professional sports are full of such players. Like I said we are a small school, in the past 5 years our school has produced 4 division 1 athletes and a handful of division 2, and a boatload of division 3 athletes. Every single one of them played 2 or more sports, 3 was the norm and one girl lettered in 4 sports. The other school in our school district is a bit bigger and has had similar to slightly larger numbers of kids moving on to play in college and most of those played 2-3 sports in HS. The one girl was a pitcher on her travel team, on the HS team plus played volleyball, basketball and pole vaulted on the HS team and traveled the country competing in track and field events. She is now at a Big Ten School on a scholarship for Pole Vault. I would venture to guess that she would be considered an elite athlete (her state record in the PV would be evidence of that) and yet she played other sports.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
the person I replied to said if a girl wants to play other sports she should not commit to a travel softball team. I was just pointing out the silliness of that statement by pointing out that very committed and skilled athletes have played more then one sport.

(I am about to channel my inner Screwball) Why is it that when a boy plays more then one sport its fine, but a girl has to abandon everything else in order to be committed. The school my dd goes to has less then 300 girls, yet our sports teams generally play in the larger divisions of our conference. Our softball team plays in a division where most of the schools have graduating classes larger then our school. Its not because we have a girls who specialize in one sport, its because we have a bunch of 3 sport athletes who play everything.

Edit to ad, I just caught the last point in your post. Are you kidding me? Few elite in one sport played multiple? Professional sports are full of such players. Like I said we are a small school, in the past 5 years our school has produced 4 division 1 athletes and a handful of division 2, and a boatload of division 3 athletes. Every single one of them played 2 or more sports, 3 was the norm and one girl lettered in 4 sports. The other school in our school district is a bit bigger and has had similar to slightly larger numbers of kids moving on to play in college and most of those played 2-3 sports in HS. The one girl was a pitcher on her travel team, on the HS team plus played volleyball, basketball and pole vaulted on the HS team and traveled the country competing in track and field events. She is now at a Big Ten School on a scholarship for Pole Vault. I would venture to guess that she would be considered an elite athlete (her state record in the PV would be evidence of that) and yet she played other sports.

We will have to agree to disagree. Maybe it is done differently in the rest of the country because I don't see it with my DD's softball friends and team mates. In fact, none of her softball friends and team mates play another high school sport. Her TB team is so competitive if you don't make practices or you miss tournaments your play time is severely affected. The only excused absences are college camps, unofficial/official visits or SAT/ACT testing. But we all make our choices.

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
Sorry, but I just don't agree with that statement. For example, if you go back and look at how many pro athletes were multi sport athletes in high school, it's mind boggling. John Elway, Dan Marino, etc., etc. The list goes on and on and includes most of the NFL and MLB Hall of Famers. Kids specializing in one sport is a fairly recent thing. I realize that it gets frustrating when kids miss softball practice for other sports, but you have to realize that those "other sports" are excellent cross training for a softball player. The results can be quicker reflexes, faster running speed, better hand eye coordination, more explosiveness, etc.
This is why D1 coaches love multi sport athletes.

You are right....and these are the exceptions. Pro athletes, whatever sport, are gifted athletes and a minute percentage. But the average athlete, who is not gifted, and wants to be an elite athlete has to put more time and effort into that sport. JMHO:)

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
You are right....and these are the exceptions. Pro athletes, whatever sport, are gifted athletes and a minute percentage. But the average athlete, who is not gifted, and wants to be an elite athlete has to put more time and effort into that sport. JMHO:)

What? Pro athletes were not Pro's in HS, sure seems like a whole bunch of exceptions since there is a whole bunch of Pro athletes, which the majority of them played several sports in HS. Sorry a non-gifted athlete will never be an elite athlete so don't try and use that argument. Like I said I believe it is narrow-minded of a coach to bench a player because of another sport (If softball is out of season)

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
What? Pro athletes were not Pro's in HS, sure seems like a whole bunch of exceptions since there is a whole bunch of Pro athletes, which the majority of them played several sports in HS. Sorry a non-gifted athlete will never be an elite athlete so don't try and use that argument. Like I said I believe it is narrow-minded of a coach to bench a player because of another sport (If softball is out of season)

Coach Kevin,
Just a discussion here. It's OK to have a different opinion. I think our definition of an elite athlete is different. I'm not talking about pro athletes, I am talking about a softball player who can play D1 in college. I am not the coach who expects full on commitment, they just happen to be in the area my DD plays. But where we play the fall season is a season and I agree it might be narrow-minded but such is the case. We are not in a position to switch areas and I happen to like Ca.
The pro athlete is such a small percentage of the whole athletic population and they are pro for a reason; I don't think that's a "whole bunch". Again, JMHO

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
(If softball is out of season)

Here is where I disagree with the good coach. As for me and my pitcher/catcher/ss... it is a year round sport. She swims,skates,plays tennis/racketball & takes some karate. All without joining teams, that IMHO just babysit, and never compete in national events. DD's family friends DD just won the QUEEN OF DIAMONDS CHAMPIONS this weekend. Lets see anyone throw 100 pitches aday, 2 pratices aweek, and a batting lesson, all year, and have time for anything else. We live 2 blocks form the YMCA, so swimming is easy to work in couple times week , but only because she does her pitching motion in the water, and plays with a bumble ball, with other "real softball" girls, then plays racket ball. She has been blessed with gifts, that other can enjoy, and has no trouble with finding other parents that want there DD's to cross train with her. She uses it to play with her long time friends that didn't commit as much as she is, and that didn't make the teams she does. She loves to just play, without crushing her little friends, as long as they don't pick up a bat, or put on a glove. DD knows the economics of the whole thing as well. She don't want to spend money on the signup, a shirt she would only wear to bed, and a picture, that will never get hung on the wall. She wants BumBa cleats that match uniform, composite bats, and truly LOVES her batting coach, would go everyday if I could afford it.

Another reason is I have had a real hard time finding the Perfect HC for her, and team. I don't want her setting under the influence of other philosophies. Getting a HC, Batting Coach and a Pitching Coach all in sync, is next to impossible.... when you do that, you don't want anyone else saying squat, about anything. Softball is why I don't have a Boat.... we all focus on what she has excelled at.

But most importantly, as she chose to play TB A, it came with the understanding that she is to get straight A's this year too.... Mom, has found this to be very time consuming too, and will scream if anyone wants to try and add anything else. She is sick of her mini van, and wants the sports cars back that she had all her life.

Last edited:

Our roster is not full of Jenny Finch calibre players...that is for sure.

We'll see how it goes. The team has a tryout scheduled for Sunday so maybe we'll land a couple of great role players (or better) to get the show on the road.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA