Dilemma

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
"She's decided to go out to one tomorrow for a team she tried to get on a couple of years ago. We'll play some pick up if we need to and see what our team tryouts yield in a couple of weeks and make a decision."

Good luck to your DD! Hopefully she finds a home with like minded athletes.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
It's 16U, we typically have 7 out of 13 for any practice. No big deal during Fall because soccer and v-ball has daily doubles, then the school teams also have tournaments they entered. I don't think it's right to question dedication if the girls are playing other sports especially if Softball is out of season.

We actually are happy that our athlets are playing other sports and will never question their dedication because we understand that those sports are in season. Now if the girls just aren't coming to practice or games because they don't want to, thats another situation completely.

So is she going to any other tryouts ??? this coming weekend ???

Yes. She's going to go to one. It's a team she was trying to get on a season ago. They wanted her to come back for a second lookout she had an offer from another team in hand and it was late in the process so she went ahead and took the other offer. Probably should have went all out for this one. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

It's 16U, we typically have 7 out of 13 for any practice. No big deal during Fall because soccer and v-ball has daily doubles, then the school teams also have tournaments they entered. I don't think it's right to question dedication if the girls are playing other sports especially if Softball is out of season.

We actually are happy that our athlets are playing other sports and will never question their dedication because we understand that those sports are in season. Now if the girls just aren't coming to practice or games because they don't want to, thats another situation completely.

I know one girl plays volleyball. It's on our off nights. There are a few that are always there and a few that never seem to be there. We're newer to the team so I don't know the story on the rest although I have heard on player referred to as the part-time player. Most of DD's circle are softball first and other sports to stay in shape as long they don't interfere with ball. I guess that's what we're used to.

Bottom line is she doesn't want to bail out on this team. However she wants to play and doesn't want to be the one left turning out the light.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Yes. She's going to go to one. It's a team she was trying to get on a season ago. They wanted her to come back for a second lookout she had an offer from another team in hand and it was late in the process so she went ahead and took the other offer. Probably should have went all out for this one. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

Awesome!!! You gotta go to all the tryouts you can... I like them much better than games.

Aug 14, 2011
My opinion was always that at 16U and playing travel ball, players should pick their sport and commit to it. If they want play volleyball, great, but don't commit to a softball travel team. It severely limits play for the rest of the team.
If your daughter really wants to stick it out with this team, maybe the coach could look into a slightly bigger roster for next Summer and other sports may not interfere then. In the meantime, she could probably stay as busy as she wants to by guest playing (my daughter did this one Fall). She may even stumble upon a perfect fit.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
My opinion was always that at 16U and playing travel ball, players should pick their sport and commit to it. If they want play volleyball, great, but don't commit to a softball travel team. It severely limits play for the rest of the team.
If your daughter really wants to stick it out with this team, maybe the coach could look into a slightly bigger roster for next Summer and other sports may not interfere then. In the meantime, she could probably stay as busy as she wants to by guest playing (my daughter did this one Fall). She may even stumble upon a perfect fit.

Really? Here we have Fall Ball but it's really to see where your at for the upcoming Spring. So if V-Ball is the "in-season" sport your going to make a player decide on either V-Ball or Softball, even if Softball is "out of season"? Our school softball season goes Mar-May (June if you make it that far in the playoffs) and TB doesn't gear up until after HS ball. Now during Spring we expect the girls to make softball the priority as it is the "in season" sport.

I just think it's very narrow minded to make a girl decide to play one sport over the other because they want to play in HS.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

So in your opinion you would not have wanted Jenny Finch on your dd's team because she played HS volleyball and basketball?

Two things happened today... DD told me this AM that she committed to this team and she is going to see it through. If it doesn't work out then she'll pick up. Inevitably there is always a team that needs a player of the season due to an injury of worse comes to worse. I guess all the lessons about commitment sunk in even if I stray from the time to time. I'm proud of her decision making ability.

Then the rain came so lots of tryouts cancelled. It's a clear sign of where to stay. :)

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
So in your opinion you would not have wanted Jenny Finch on your dd's team because she played HS volleyball and basketball?

Jenny Finch would not be "Jenny Finch" if she did not commit to softball. There are few athletes who become elite in one sport playing several. I know there are exceptions but not many and exceptions can be made. But, I find it hard to believe that 1/2 the team are gifted athletes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA