Different Hitting Philosophies

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Daddy O . We have used a bucket 1/2 full of concrete or a concrete block for years to help get across how not to squish the bug. This is easier and a heck of alot lighter. Milk crate on one side take pipe wrap insulation , cut it to length of top of one side of milk crate and put on top. I use pull ties to hold in place. The milk crate goes between the legs of the hitter with the wrap facing the back leg. If they squish and spin the back foot the back leg will not hit the milk crate, if the back foot is used correctly they will feel it hit the milk crate. Instant feedback. Softballphreak hit it on the head, he think outside the box. This month's softball magazine he has the top three training video's in terms of sales. The cone drill we started using right away at our practices. It teaches kids to hit to a selected spot. You only get points if you hit the ball between the cones. We make a game of it.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Daddy O . We have used a bucket 1/2 full of concrete or a concrete block for years to help get across how not to squish the bug. This is easier and a heck of alot lighter. Milk crate on one side take pipe wrap insulation , cut it to length of top of one side of milk crate and put on top. I use pull ties to hold in place. The milk crate goes between the legs of the hitter with the wrap facing the back leg. If they squish and spin the back foot the back leg will not hit the milk crate, if the back foot is used correctly they will feel it hit the milk crate. Instant feedback. Softballphreak hit it on the head, he think outside the box. This month's softball magazine he has the top three training video's in terms of sales. The cone drill we started using right away at our practices. It teaches kids to hit to a selected spot. You only get points if you hit the ball between the cones. We make a game of it.

And to think ... I described the cone drill here over a year ago ... for 'free'. Glad the drill is being used.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
And to think ... I described the cone drill here over a year ago ... for 'free'. Glad the drill is being used.

FFS - The Hansen Principle also applies to drills, right? If you'd shown video of the drill at the time instead of just describing it, it likely would've been perceived differently. Just something to think about :cool: - GM

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Find where I stated I liked this drill. He has 110, some good some I don't Like. I constantly update my knowledge so who follows one guru? The difference he is very successful and has creditials to back it up, which most on here won't under Ken's post !
At least I'm willing to post what are the top current training DVDs on the market, Sometimes you have to wonder how others are experts with nothing to prove it! Have never played the game or coached but are experts http://www.discussfastpitch.com/sof...ting-coaches-state-your-credentials-here.html

SB
Good point!!!

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Your earlier response did not state an opinion on this particular drill, but instead diverted to a new topic of the individual’s credentials.

The actual drill, as described, is terrible … and if actually mastered would be hurtful to a hitter’s attempts to become better.

You basically responded to the drill … a poor drill IMO … with a response that the presenter is a well accomplished individual. If that was in any way an attempt to promote what was being presented, then that would not be a good thing IMO … because what was being presented is largely flawed.

Personally, I find it quite easy to ignore Tschida’s accomplishments in evaluating his drills. In fact, I find that it removes any potential emotional type mannerism, and places a strict focus completely on the drill.

Point is … it doesn’t really matter what the presenter’s credentials are … this drill doesn’t pass the Hanson Principle. IMO the drill, as presented, should be avoided.

FFS
You are so quick to bash other people's drills. On top of that,bash a winning college coach and his drills, without ever posting any of your own!!!
UNBELIEVABLE

Post the heavy bat drill....You dont have one. Enough said.....

SL

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
FFS
You are so quick to bash other people's drills. On top of that,bash a winning college coach and his drills, without ever posting any of your own!!!
UNBELIEVABLE

Post the heavy bat drill....You dont have one. Enough said.....

SL

SL ... it isn't about bashing people. It's about helping people that wish to put in a sincere and honest effort to improve their skills. The drill that was presented was not good ... and if mimic'd and mastered, would be harmful to those attempting to improve their skills. It would actually be wrong for people not to point out such flawed drills when they are brought up. You make it sound like there is pleasure in the act of pointing out flawed logic ... there isn't ... I'd just as soon see people advertising good drills. Think of it this way ... when a drill is presented on a discussion board, then don't be surprised if it is discussed ... and if a hurtful drill is presented, then I would think people would appreciate a fair discussion take place on the topic.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
I am just trying to figure out for myself if it is a good drill or not. At this point , I have to take his experience into account. It seems that most feel it is a bad drill. Ok Fine. But , this is a high level coach that believes it enough to put it out there for all to see. Maybe , it works for him and his team. I just would like to find some video of his players to see if they do it this way and if they are productive with it , then I can make my final determination. If I try and convince parents / players that they should be doing something different than what these top coaches advocate , I had better have some strong evidence on my side or I have no shot

IMO it's hard to mess up great athletes too much. Coaches like this get the best athletes. They will naturally revert to what actually makes sense.

Have a coach like this take the weakest players from a 14U team and do drills like this and see what happens. I don't think the results would not be pretty.

OTOH hand don't get too worried about stuff like this. If you like his credentials and like the looks of the drill, experiment with it on yourself of maybe your DD.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
SB
Good point!!!

I totally regret ever posting the video of the riseball drill. Peppers mentioned searching for his stuff on YouTube, I did so, found this one and just thought it was an innocent remark about the setup. I never intended belittle the guy, or anyone who buys or uses his stuff. Although I will say this drill in my opinion is not good and FFS and others pretty much spell out why.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Thank you 2bucketdad!

Every swing basically starts out the same, but ends up being an 'adjustment'.

I repeat ... every swing starts out the same, but ends up being an 'adjustment'. It is not the case that one first determines the type of pitch being thrown (e.g., riseball, dropball, curve, screwball, etc.) and then decides on a particular swing plane to use ... instead, the swing starts out the same way, and becomes an adjustment.

It isn't as complicated as some make it. You don't need to be teaching multiple swings ... and if you are doing that, then you need to get into the batter's box and test out the 'theory' that you are advocating.

I don't want to be too disparaging, but I agree with the ney-sayers here! Just project the path shown from the pitcher's thigh to home plate and see how high the pitch would be if thrown at that angle. And though argued ad nauseum here, rise-balls are rising at the plate, but they are flattening out, not taking off like an Airbus 380! So why would you swing at such an angle. And as FiveFrameSwing and 2bucketDad have eluded, how can you teach different swing planes that start from different launch positions. It doesn't happen. I have adjusted to a rise-ball pitcher, a drop-ball pitcher, by holding my bat head differently, moving my hands up, or some other small adjustment. But these adjustments weren't pitch to pitch and spin to spin, but were specific to that pitcher's strength. But nothing like this. I think the drill is a gimmick!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA