Different Hitting Philosophies

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2010
s12ubs.jpg

316m0ll.gif

2lu2wr7.gif

2yyo76a.gif

They are all keeping their hands up throughout the swing, which is how you get to the high pitch, or rise.

Swinging down at a high pitch will get you out every time.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
This is not a riseball drill, as some posted on this site by John Tschida. The balls on a rope drill and it drill 57 on his DVD, it is a casting drill and the balls are to teach you how to hit a ball without casting ! Interesting he is 573 and 98, 3 National championships and twice NFCA Coach of the year, so who would you want to learn from. He like many are taken out of context. His DVD's are listed in this month's CHAMPIONSHIP PRODUCTIONS.COM It has all softball training DVD's. He covers 110 different drills. He also played softball professionally and his stats are very good. The milk crate drill is simple and a neat way to get the correct back leg and foot action so the kid gets instant feedback.

SBF, it’s a bad drill ….. and a good example of the importance of not falling in love with any one particular guru, and why the Hanson Principle should be applied to all the information you receive.

He specifically speaks of the job of “tracking the riseball and stay on the plane of that riseball”. He also says that “the hitting zone is the riseball traveling through the strike zone”. As if that isn’t enough … there is verbage across some of the frames labeling what he is talking about as a riseball drill … “This drill simulates rise balls and drop balls”.

JBooth is correct ... and it is the reason the cue of "hands above the ball" is often used.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Find where I stated I liked this drill. He has 110, some good some I don't Like. I constantly update my knowledge so who follows one guru? The difference he is very successful and has creditials to back it up, which most on here won't under Ken's post !
At least I'm willing to post what are the top current training DVDs on the market, Sometimes you have to wonder how others are experts with nothing to prove it! Have never played the game or coached but are experts http://www.discussfastpitch.com/sof...ting-coaches-state-your-credentials-here.html

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Find where I stated I liked this drill. He has 110, some good some I don't Like. I constantly update my knowledge so who follows one guru? The difference he is very successful and has creditials to back it up, which most on here won't under Ken's post !
At least I'm willing to post what are the top current training DVDs on the market, Sometimes you have to wonder how others are experts with nothing to prove it! Have never played the game or coached but are experts http://www.discussfastpitch.com/sof...ting-coaches-state-your-credentials-here.html

Your earlier response did not state an opinion on this particular drill, but instead diverted to a new topic of the individual’s credentials.

The actual drill, as described, is terrible … and if actually mastered would be hurtful to a hitter’s attempts to become better.

You basically responded to the drill … a poor drill IMO … with a response that the presenter is a well accomplished individual. If that was in any way an attempt to promote what was being presented, then that would not be a good thing IMO … because what was being presented is largely flawed.

Personally, I find it quite easy to ignore Tschida’s accomplishments in evaluating his drills. In fact, I find that it removes any potential emotional type mannerism, and places a strict focus completely on the drill.

Point is … it doesn’t really matter what the presenter’s credentials are … this drill doesn’t pass the Hanson Principle. IMO the drill, as presented, should be avoided.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2011
Your earlier response did not state an opinion on this particular drill, but instead diverted to a new topic of the individual’s credentials.

The actual drill, as described, is terrible … and if actually mastered would be hurtful to a hitter’s attempts to become better.

You basically responded to the drill … a poor drill IMO … with a response that the presenter is a well accomplished individual. If that was in any way an attempt to promote what was being presented, then that would not be a good thing IMO … because what was being presented is largely flawed.

Personally, I find it quite easy to ignore Tschida’s accomplishments in evaluating his drills. In fact, I find that it removes any potential emotional type mannerism, and places a strict focus completely on the drill.

Point is … it doesn’t really matter what the presenter’s credentials are … this drill doesn’t pass the Hanson Principle. IMO the drill, as presented, should be avoided.

This is the issue I have with this site at times. It is a bit egotistical to just ignore the teachings of high level coaches that have proven their success on the field. Do we have any video available of his hitters to see if they do what is being taught. Maybe he has found something that works for him and his team.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
This is the issue I have with this site at times. It is a bit egotistical to just ignore the teachings of high level coaches that have proven their success on the field. Do we have any video available of his hitters to see if they do what is being taught. Maybe he has found something that works for him and his team.

On the other hand, to accept without evaluation just because XXX says so or does it, can be just as problematic if not more so. And don't forget, most successful high-level coaches are working with near world-class athletes capable of high-level performance under your or my direction or misdirection as the case may be.

Jan 24, 2011
On the other hand, to accept without evaluation just because XXX says so or does it, can be just as problematic if not more so. And don't forget, most successful high-level coaches are working with near world-class athletes capable of high-level performance under your or my direction or misdirection as the case may be.

I somewhat agree with you here. That is why I am asking if anybody has any video of Tschida's players. Are they actually doing what he teaches? Does it work for them?

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
He does not get top flight players at this D3. Common sense, who wants to go to a D3 in MN? Google him, he was a top professional softball player and his peers voted him coach of the year multi times and someone comes on this site and won't state any creditials, nor anyone has ever seen them coach or teach is critical of one drill. That is more than egotistical !

Tommie Sports - Softball Index

377 team BA in 2011 , how many colleges are better than that?

Over the last eight seasons, UST's overall record of 343-43 (.889) includes a 55-12 postseason record and a 195-5 (.975) record vs. conference foes.

After having no All-Americans in the program’s first 20 years, the Tommies have won the honor 21 times since 2003. After having just one Academic All-American in the program's first 25 years, the Toms have had 10 in the last nine seasons. Maria Bye closed her career in 2008 and received an NCAA Postgraduate scholarship; was named MIAC Female Student-Athlete of the Year; and became the first conference player to be a three-time first-team on field All-American and a three-time first-team CoSIDA Academic All-American.

Last edited:
R

RayR

I am not questioning Tshida's accomplishments.

The drill he is showing has a player swinging down on a pitch. I will pass....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA