Different Hitting Philosophies

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
I am just trying to figure out for myself if it is a good drill or not. At this point , I have to take his experience into account. It seems that most feel it is a bad drill. Ok Fine. But , this is a high level coach that believes it enough to put it out there for all to see. Maybe , it works for him and his team. I just would like to find some video of his players to see if they do it this way and if they are productive with it , then I can make my final determination. If I try and convince parents / players that they should be doing something different than what these top coaches advocate , I had better have some strong evidence on my side or I have no shot

R

RayR

IMO - you would get more mileage out of a high tee drill set up with a outside tee as a restraint to not sweep out....

But - I can't say for sure the drill wouldn't work...

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
MTS is correct Not saying his drill wouldn't work, but there are better ways to teach casting issues than this. His milk crate drill was a better way of getting the point across on " Bug suishing" to a young player. So like many things you pick what is best for you. His players demo on his drills .

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
You have to be especially carefull when a person with "good credentials" is selling something like a hitting skills video. The temptation to put out a video "endorsed" by a big name personality is sometimes motivated more by making money than by putting out the latest information. What you wind up with are drills and skills that have been commonly rehashed for decades, right or wrong, without any thought about how effective or usefull they really are.

It appears to me, that the player demonstrating this drill is having a little trouble performing it correctly. Kind of leads me to believe that it is not one they use during their hitting practice. Just sayin'. ;)

Oct 25, 2009
This is the issue I have with this site at times. It is a bit egotistical to just ignore the teachings of high level coaches that have proven their success on the field. Do we have any video available of his hitters to see if they do what is being taught. Maybe he has found something that works for him and his team.

I watched him and his team at one of the D3 national championships. They came in second in a close game at the end. His infield warm up was absolutely awesome and entertaining.

Another coach and I had the opportunity to talk with him all to ourselves for about an hour. He is awesome! I recall asking him how he got his batters to all bat alike. He responded, in effect, my way or the highway.

He is a student of the game. He would probably try anything if he thought it would help.

I've tried various things that taken out of context would be unbelievable. For example, I've had players do swings wrong on purpose at times just to let them experience how it felt to do it wrong. There is no absolute way to reach or teach a player. If there is I'd be willing to buy it.

For anyone saying you should never swing down on a pitch I'd suggest you re-think that. There are times when it would be great to have a player be able to do that. You have to think outside the box. Ever heard of a slash or slug?

Jul 11, 2009
MTS is correct Not saying his drill wouldn't work, but there are better ways to teach casting issues than this. His milk crate drill was a better way of getting the point across on " Bug suishing" to a young player. So like many things you pick what is best for you. His players demo on his drills .

SB,
Could you explain or show the milk crate drill? PM me if you prefer. Thanks.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I am just trying to figure out for myself if it is a good drill or not. At this point , I have to take his experience into account. It seems that most feel it is a bad drill. Ok Fine. But , this is a high level coach that believes it enough to put it out there for all to see. Maybe , it works for him and his team. I just would like to find some video of his players to see if they do it this way and if they are productive with it , then I can make my final determination. If I try and convince parents / players that they should be doing something different than what these top coaches advocate , I had better have some strong evidence on my side or I have no shot

Cyclone ... a few questions.

Do you have 'any' examples of hitters swinging this way at a high level? I don't.

Do you have 'any' examples of a riseball having the profile that was demonstrated? I don't.

Do you have 'any' confirmation whatsoever to support the use of this drill, in terms of actual performance? That is ... can you independently confirm what is being advertised? I can't.

You ask for strong evidence .... do you have any evidence to support what this drill recommends? I don't.

You heard his explanation ... does it hold water? IMO it doesn't. He's actually documented an old school thought process that has been verified to be invalid.

You suggest that this drill may work for him ..... yet can you show even one successful hitter replicating this in a game swing? If so ... where's the video clip?

Better yet ... get in the batter's box and replicate the mechanics demonstrated. Heck ... you owe it to your students to do that before you attempt to promote it. I'm not at all kidding ... go ahead ... do it ... swing down on riseballs thrown to the top of the strike zone & do so using the same bat path demonstrated in this drill .... I believe you'll quickly come to the realization of just how bad this advice is.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2008
IMO no good comes from teaching players different swings or different swing planes for different pitches, all you will end up with is a bunch of confused kids that cant hit shoit!

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
IMO no good comes from teaching players different swings or different swing planes for different pitches, all you will end up with is a bunch of confused kids that cant hit shoit!

Thank you 2bucketdad!

Every swing basically starts out the same, but ends up being an 'adjustment'.

I repeat ... every swing starts out the same, but ends up being an 'adjustment'. It is not the case that one first determines the type of pitch being thrown (e.g., riseball, dropball, curve, screwball, etc.) and then decides on a particular swing plane to use ... instead, the swing starts out the same way, and becomes an adjustment.

It isn't as complicated as some make it. You don't need to be teaching multiple swings ... and if you are doing that, then you need to get into the batter's box and test out the 'theory' that you are advocating.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA