Determining home team in a tournament?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2011
Maine
Hi All,

Our league is hosting a 12U tournament, and I was wondering what some of you have seen in respect to how the home team is determined in a double ellimination tournament?

Thanks, Brett

Jun 20, 2008
Coin toss at home plate usually either a double flip one flip where umpires see who gets to call the final flip or umpires say who is heads and tails and then do a single flip, during pool games, then the higher seed usually gets to pick during elim's.

Jan 18, 2011
Double Elimination is done by coin toss, umpire assigns heads and tails, single flip.

Pool play - Pool games by same coin toss as above. Bracket - Higher Seed has choice.

This is what I have seen, experienced and conducted.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Coin toss and I have also seen where 1 girl from each team rolls a ball from home plate to the pitching plate, whoever is closests wins

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I had a young ( probably inexperienced ) coach ask me one time at home plate in front of the umps before the coin toss, " do you mind if we're home "...................I said " sure we'll be sending you that way in 75 minutes ". One ump almost choked on his water, always good times at the ball fields. :)

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
seed games=coin toss
bracket games=higher seed has choice

Once we get into eliminations we also award home team to the team dropping down into the losers bracket to a play a team already in the losers bracket rather than relying on higher seed.

May 17, 2012
I have played in games where we played, "roll the ball closest to the mound" for home team. I have also played rock/scissors/paper for home team. I once had an umpire that had a coin flip app for his iPhone, that was new as well.

In bracket play it's always the higher seed that has the choice (as others above pointed out).

Oct 12, 2011
In South Carolina, we flip twice. Once to see who will call it and then the real flip for home. We do this before every game in TB whether it is a pool or bracket game. In pool games you dont want to be home team. You want to bat first to get more at bat. Pool games are drop dead and visitor sometimes get to bat a extra time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45