Determining if a team...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
Determining if a team is ready to start entering tournaments.
Or shouldn't.

➡️ What to look for GO DFP__________!

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Teams are never truly ready until they get a taste of their first tourney. 2 pool games and double elimination bracket. Spending time in the loser's bracket is where you will learn the most about your team.

Jan 25, 2022
When you have 2 pitchers that can throw strikes at will. I don't care how good or nice the coach is, if the team doesn't have decent pitching you are setting yourself up for a disappointing weekend.

Pitching is literally everything. I would even go so far as to say that if you don't have a pitcher who can throw 50% strikes or better, you may as well not even have a team. You'll never win. Everyone's time and money is wasted. The kids are miserable. The parents are miserable.

Absolute best case scenario, you come across a team just as bad and you get to bat first. This is why I get so irritated when I see teams/coaches not being concerned with if they have a competent pitcher, and then if they're actually making sure that pitcher is working in the offseason and will show up accurate and in-shape.

Jul 11, 2023
If you don't have Patty Gasso personally attending your games, you should quit because you're trash. D1 power conference or bust. D3 should be embarrassed to even have teams. :rolleyes:

Guess all of our smaller town teams should fold since we're just not dripping in pitching talent.

Playing > Not Playing.

Does it have to be a tournament? No, I suppose not. But you can also find tournaments to fit your skill level. Save for the few teams that punch down just for a cheap trophy and facebook post. They suck, are frustrating, and are not serving their athletes well. Do the mental gymnastics to not give them the power to ruin your experience.

sport (v.)​

c. 1400, sporten, "take pleasure, enjoy or amuse oneself," from Old French desporter, deporter "to divert, amuse, please, play; to seek amusement," etymologically "carry away" (the mind from serious matters), from des- "away" (see dis-) + porter "to carry," from Latin portare "to carry" (from PIE root *per- (2) "to lead, pass over"). Compare disport (v.), which is the older form.

Source: https://www.etymonline.com/word/sport

Jun 29, 2023
Alot of teams around us have been travelling to indoor tournaments the last couple weeks. We just started back up 2 weeks ago, I do know one thing we're not ready for a tournament.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
If you don't have Patty Gasso personally attending your games, you should quit because you're trash. D1 power conference or bust. D3 should be embarrassed to even have teams. :rolleyes:

Guess all of our smaller town teams should fold since we're just not dripping in pitching talent.

Playing > Not Playing.

Does it have to be a tournament? No, I suppose not. But you can also find tournaments to fit your skill level. Save for the few teams that punch down just for a cheap trophy and facebook post. They suck, are frustrating, and are not serving their athletes well. Do the mental gymnastics to not give them the power to ruin your experience.

sport (v.)​

c. 1400, sporten, "take pleasure, enjoy or amuse oneself," from Old French desporter, deporter "to divert, amuse, please, play; to seek amusement," etymologically "carry away" (the mind from serious matters), from des- "away" (see dis-) + porter "to carry," from Latin portare "to carry" (from PIE root *per- (2) "to lead, pass over"). Compare disport (v.), which is the older form.

Source: https://www.etymonline.com/word/sport
They do not have to be great pitchers. They just have to be able to throw strikes. Preferably not down the middle but down the middle is MUCH better than the walk-a-thon nightmare.

Jan 25, 2022
They do not have to be great pitchers. They just have to be able to throw strikes. Preferably not down the middle but down the middle is MUCH better than the walk-a-thon nightmare.

Right...like, "playing>not playing" is a great mindset, but the defense standing there watching walks is NOT a team playing. It's also a great way to lose players. Any new team shouldn't even be formed without a pitcher who is competent on at least the most basic level.

I've been that coach of that team, but it was school ball and we had no choice. It's an awful existence for everyone.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez