DD's opening front shoulder.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
The shoulder coming out can be a few things. 1) powering the swing with the shoulders instead of the middle 2) the frontside flying open 3) the player is out of sequence.

Maybe there are a few more. But those are the biggies that come to mind.
I would also add losing/coming out of posture early but maybe you are including that in # 2

Dec 5, 2017
I would also add losing/coming out of posture early but maybe you are including that in # 2
I think what you said is a big problem with a large percentage of young hitters. The front shoulder has to work up and everyone tells them to stop pulling there shoulder when in reality they are either coming out of posture or never getting into good posture to begin with. At least that's what I see a lot.

Aug 16, 2019
NORTH TEXAS
Thank you all for the lessons here. My problem was coming from coaching aspects of it as her hitting instructor and her coach were both telling her to keep her shoulder closed but no one is telling her or me what she needs to do to correct it. thank you all for the input and sugestions

Jul 29, 2013
Ok. The reason why the front shoulder flys out is because the ‘force’ in the swing is not being transferred properly. There is a disconnect. But you say ‘rotate the shoulders’ because that’s what you see.

Some one puts up a video of someone bypassing the shoulders and releasing the barrel and you say ‘that’s terrible !’

I tried to explain to you that the shoulders are nothing in the ‘force production’ of the swing, so maybe you would understand why the guy was doing the drill in the video. It’s to activate the hands so the SHOULDERS would stop working so hard to get the barrel to the ball.

If you would swing a bat against decent velocity you would know that rotating the shoulders as a ‘move’ is slow and not adjustable.

I have said all of this previously. One more time..

The shoulder coming out can be a few things. 1) powering the swing with the shoulders instead of the middle 2) the frontside flying open 3) the player is out of sequence.

Maybe there are a few more. But those are the biggies that come to mind.
It’s to activate the hands so the SHOULDERS would stop working so hard to get the barrel to the ball.
So watch all of the videos posted by ProSpeed and show me one where he hits anything more than a soft line drive.
Then explain what's going on in these pictures and why anyone would want to activate their hands and keep their shoulder in instead of using bigger muscles.
Keep your shoulder in and then work on your speed to first base.
Screenshot_2015-01-15-22-12-29.pngScreenshot_2019-12-01-08-53-59.pngScreenshot_2019-10-20-20-18-10.pngScreenshot_2019-11-08-21-47-11.pngScreenshot_2019-09-28-11-15-04.pngScreenshot_2018-04-22-11-35-53.png20180526_144633.jpgScreenshot_2018-04-03-00-54-35.png

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
QUOTE="MikeP, post: 538870, member: 16123"]
I think what you said is a big problem with a large percentage of young hitters. The front shoulder has to work up and everyone tells them to stop pulling there shoulder when in reality they are either coming out of posture or never getting into good posture to begin with. At least that's what I see a lot.
[/QUOTE]
Working the front shoulder up is merely a change in the tilt of the spine.

Jun 8, 2016
It’s to activate the hands so the SHOULDERS would stop working so hard to get the barrel to the ball.
So watch all of the videos posted by ProSpeed and show me one where he hits anything more than a soft line drive.
Then explain what's going on in these pictures and why anyone would want to activate their hands and keep their shoulder in instead of using bigger muscles.
View attachment 15726View attachment 15727View attachment 15728View attachment 15729View attachment 15730View attachment 15732View attachment 15733View attachment 15734
I am not sure but are you advocating to actively rotate the shoulders? While there is a lot that people disagree upon in hitting mechanics, I don't see many saying that using an active shoulder turn to power the swing is a good idea. Nobody is saying he shoulders don't get rotated...

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
I am not sure but are you advocating to actively rotate the shoulders? While there is a lot that people disagree upon in hitting mechanics, I don't see many saying that using an active shoulder turn to power the swing is a good idea. Nobody is saying he shoulders don't get rotated...
Folks here saying to keep the front shoulder in and activate the hands forward first per the ProSpeed guy.
Lots of folks thought the world was flat too.
Ask them to post videos of their daughter hitting and follow the guy whose daughter you want your dd to hit like. Ask for bat speed and exit velocity too. Ask them to show exactly in video and stills of actual swings the proof of their theory.

Interpretation gets lost in print. I promote an active front leg driving the offset front hip rearward, torquing the core as the barrel is thrown rearward, the front arm across the chest. The entire assembly including the shoulders, turning to and through contact as one. The hands hold the bat.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
View attachment 15726View attachment 15727View attachment 15728View attachment 15729View attachment 15730View attachment 15732View attachment 15733View attachment 15734

Sorry man the swing is way more than what you think it is at this moment.

If you learn how to move/use the middle. The shoulders are nothing.

P.s. Check the pro speed guys followers. He must be doing something right. Just sayin. 😎

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole