DD's opening front shoulder.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
Sorry man the swing is way more than what you think it is at this moment.

If you learn how to move/use the middle. The shoulders are nothing.

P.s. Check the pro speed guys followers. He must be doing something right. Just sayin. 😎

So watch all of the videos posted by ProSpeed and show me one where he hits anything more than a soft line drive.
Then explain what's going on in these pictures and why anyone would want to activate their hands and keep their shoulder in instead of using bigger muscles.
The swing is actually much easier than you could ever possibly understand, much less explain to a young girl.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
So watch all of the videos posted by ProSpeed and show me one where he hits anything more than a soft line drive.
Then explain what's going on in these pictures and why anyone would want to activate their hands and keep their shoulder in instead of using bigger muscles.
The swing is actually much easier than you could ever possibly understand, much less explain to a young girl.

You cannot put MASS into the bat. It’s about accelerating the bat into the ball. Having the bat traveling it’s fastest right before contact and into contact.

That is not found rearward or through the shoulders. It’s about whipping the barrel with efficient force production.

Notice the accel to decel of the handle in every whip ‘crack’?

Jul 29, 2013

Accel to decel

More on deck swings..... yawn.....
Acceleration/ deceleration? The barrel extends due to centrifugal force, change of velocity vector applies acceleration. Equal and opposite. There's no law of deceleration. Removing the application of force only serves to slow the movement of the bat. If the "deceleration" is in new direction it is an acceleration in a different vector and is rotational by definition.
So what if you can't put mass into the bat? You can put weight into it through rotation.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
More on deck swings..... yawn.....
Acceleration/ deceleration? The barrel extends due to centrifugal force, change of force vector applies acceleration. Equal and opposite. Where's the law of deceleration? Removing the application of force only serves to slow the movement of the bat. If the "deceleration" is in new direction it is an acceleration in a different vector and is rotational by definition.

Yes . Better than your still shots for sure ! LOL.

Yes centrifugal., that’s the decel component of the swing. Acceleration is a change of speed over time.

However you gotta word it so you learn, I don’t care. But it ain’t rearward and it ain’t by dragging it through with your shoulders. Where would the change of speed over time be in your model? Oh yeah there isn’t one. It’s called drag.

Who said anyone was REMOVING FORCE? I was just changing the speed of an object over time... ACCELERATION !

Here’s how I teach my beginners... Try cracking a dish towel without deceling the ‘handle’ side.. That’s your model by the way, rotate/supinate into the ball with your body/shoulders. Now try and decel the side you control after you start to accelerate it.. Acceleration into the ball ! Whip ! It’s exactly what Ted and Mookie were doing. Here’s Pete telling you also.

Ps. Since were gettin all scientific. Conservation of force(energy) says you cannot change force. It cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be transformed or transferred from one form to another.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017
QUOTE="MikeP, post: 538870, member: 16123"]
I think what you said is a big problem with a large percentage of young hitters. The front shoulder has to work up and everyone tells them to stop pulling there shoulder when in reality they are either coming out of posture or never getting into good posture to begin with. At least that's what I see a lot.
Working the front shoulder up is merely a change in the tilt of the spine.
[/QUOTE]
I understand that, what I meant was when I watch a lot of kids (especially mine) turn they come up out of posture and get tall. This seems to lead to every parent and coach telling them to keep their shoulder in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1