DD's opening front shoulder.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
So as they do, not what they say they do....or what they do on deck....
Turn the shoulders: Miggy turns his shoulders 20% faster than average.
JD Martinez and Cabrera actually hitting a pitch with shoulders turned:View attachment 15715View attachment 15718
Still think you should keep the front shoulder "in" ?

Of course their shoulders turn. But the action is in the hands and lead arm. The rotation of the shoulders is directly tied into the lead arm. The tee drills are used to get the hands to deliver the barrel not the shoulders. That would be drag.

By taking the shoulders out of it on the tee. The hands activate.

Like I said ‘ you can’t put mass into the bat’, the bat is the bat and will always be the bat. It’s about getting the energy from the ground into the bat with leaking as little energy as possible up the chain.
All the while staying efficient so one can adjust. ..

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Jack Mankin's study concluded that shoulder rotation was very important. He noted how poorer swings didn't have full shoulder rotation all the way through the swing. He also noted the difference between full shoulder rotation all the way to contact and a connection (which he called transfer mechanics) between the shoulders and bat.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"It’s about getting the 'energy from the ground' into the bat with leaking as little energy as possible up the chain. "

Joey Myers estimates that only 20% the energy comes from the ground. He has some pretty cool experiments to prove his point. I can't find them but I am sure Shawn can.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
"It’s about getting the 'energy from the ground' into the bat with leaking as little energy as possible up the chain. "

Joey Myers estimates that only 20% the energy comes from the ground. He has some pretty cool experiments to prove his point. I can't find them but I am sure Shawn can.

Yes at ball strike... the energy ORIGINATES from the ground.

Momentum(GF)and sequence makes the swing move from the ‘middle’ or core torque. The momentum of the body opens the hips against this ‘torque’ which starts the ‘chain’ .. from there it’s an accel and decel capturing energy or transferring energy to the next link. It’s hips-core-lead arm-hands-bat.

The shoulders act upon what the lead arm does. Otherwise you are dragging the bat to contact. The point is to get the head out and strike the ball. Not rotate into a ball. Big difference. Think of a kicker in football. Strike not rotate.

Here are 2 random swings I picked. What acts upon what?

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Jack Mankin's study concluded that shoulder rotation was very important. He noted how poorer swings didn't have full shoulder rotation all the way through the swing. He also noted the difference between full shoulder rotation all the way to contact and a connection (which he called transfer mechanics) between the shoulders and bat.

Rotation in the swing should be measure by its originator. The core. The shoulders connect the lead arm to rotation. Active rotation of the shoulders is drag in disguise. Epstein’s ‘deltoid’ drill is great for drag.

No one is saying they don’t rotate. I’m just saying they rotate as needed. They are not force producers. They are are force transmitters.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The better the pattern(quite a bit involved here). The better the acceleration(efficient force).The better the deceleration pattern the tighter the rotation. The tighter the rotation. The better the force transmits power wise and directionally. The better the force transmits. The quicker, stronger more accurate the swing. The swing is a correspondence.

It’s balanced rotation. Opposites against each other. Rotating and balancing that rotation against itself.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I think the reverse rotation would be difficult to teach and is more a result of the hitter staying balanced. It is pretty cool to see. I was going to go hit golf balls but after watching that video all I will be thinking about is reverse rotation. LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi